Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS OFFICE programs when trying to open returns error;

• Please log in to reply

FINWHALE

FINWHALE

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I am new to this forum and I would appreciate any assistance for the following problem.
MS OFFICE programs when trying to open returns error; "MS program has not been installed for current user. Please run setup to install app." When I insert program CD and try to run setup, message was installation key not recognised or out of date. I was logged on as Administrator as that was the only a/c on the PC.
I created a guest a/c and am able to open and run Office programs, I also created another Administrator a/c and can open Office.
OS is XP Pro, MS Office is XP and has been running problem free on this PC for 3 or 4 years.
I use ZAPro, AVG vers 8 free, Spybot, AdAware. All of these show me clean. I have downloaded MBAMand Superantispyware and run those. They also show that I am OK.

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
You might want to take a look at this. I've dealt with the problem in the past, this should do the trick: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898512

FINWHALE

FINWHALE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Lurky,
Thanks for your reply, but the answer in the MS bulletien refers to non administrators. I cannot open MS program as the main admin but can open as a guest. I will however try your suggestion on the off chance.

FINWHALE

FINWHALE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried system restore, lost the administrator completly. Found out that between finding problem and running restore that xp s3 update had been installed, tried uninstalling that, now I am looking at a complete restore. Thanks for viewing. Please end topic.