Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dual monitor--problem detecting

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I am trying to connect a bit of an antique-feeling Inspiron 8100 to a big flat screen Maxent TV. I did this before but a long time ago with an older (analog?) TV using some kind of S video adapter. Completely different (modern) TV this time and I'm trying to use just a normal "monitor" cable connecting the laptop to the Maxent TV. In display properties-settings it looks like the nvidia GE forceGO driver(?) is not even allowing for 2 of 3 options to detect the other "monitor" and only is permitting the "analog" option, which I assume the Maxent is not. I hope I am describing this well enough. Any suggestions on how to make this work? Thank you for any help. (I love Geeks to Go!)

Edited by moscatomg1, 05 January 2009 - 06:32 PM.

Advertisements

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
In addition, I just tried it with my wife's superior laptop using the same monitor cable connection. It displayed the desktop background image very easily, but that was it. I couldn't figure out how to get anything (desktop icons, video, the mouse/cursor) else to display. But sound from the laptop also played on the TV. Still, I'd like to really figure out the Inspiron 8100, since that's the one I'd like to be a permanent fixture. Is what I need a different display driver to make the dual monitor work with this TV? I'm wary and ignorant about installing a new display driver if that's the case, so I'd love any recommendations/advice. Thanks!