Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan_spy[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi april_t_05

Congratulations! Your system is CLEAN ;)

SpyBot Search & Destroy v1.3

Winpatrol Free

Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition Free

Turn of system restore
http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Defrag your hard drive. Turn system restore back on and create a new restore point.

Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place

How do you prevent spyware from being installed again? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use). Click Here
Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.

It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox.
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine .
You can download Sun's newer JVM for Windows at http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html.
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp Windows (Offline Installation)

After doing all these, your system will be thoroughly protected from future threats. 8)

Kc :tazz:

Advertisements

april_t_05

april_t_05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
After I complete the last few things on your list, how do I get my desktop to go back to normal? During the process of trying to fix my computer, I downloaded alot of stuff. I was wondering if you could tell me which ones I should keep and which ones I can delete. Out of all that I should keep, how often should I run them? Here is a list:

KillBox
CWShredder
TDS-3
CleanUp
Spybot Search and Destroy
Ad-Aware SE Personal
WinPatrol

:tazz: Thank you once again for all your help.

april_t_05

april_t_05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi,
I have been waiting for a couple of weeks for a reply and still haven't heard from you. I am still wondering how to fix my desktop. It is just a black screen, and I can't change it. Please help me fix this. Thank you.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi april_t_05

I have not forgot you I am trying to find a fix for ME and will keep looking. a.s.a.p

Sorry you have had to wait

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Kc

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoActiveDesktopChanges"=hex:00,00,00,00
"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
"ClassicShell"=dword:00000000
"NoThemesTab"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispAppearancePage"=dword:00000000
"NoColorChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoSizeChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispScrSavPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispCPL"=dword:00000000
"NoVisualStyleChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoDispSettingsPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispScrSavPage"=dword:00000000
"NoVisualStyleChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoSizeChoice"=dword:00000000
"SetVisualStyle"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallPaper"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]
"ThemeActive"="1"
"DllName"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
74,00,25,00,5c,00,72,00,65,00,73,00,6f,00,75,00,72,00,63,00,65,00,73,00,5c,\
00,54,00,68,00,65,00,6d,00,65,00,73,00,5c,00,6c,00,75,00,6e,00,61,00,5c,00,\
6c,00,75,00,6e,00,61,00,2e,00,6d,00,73,00,73,00,74,00,79,00,6c,00,65,00,73,\
00,00,00 [/color]

Please save the content of the box above to an empty file in Notepad. In RED only
Save is as desktop.reg
Save it to your desktop
type: all files
Close Notepad.

Doubleclick the file click.reg and grant permission to merge the registry entries.

The last entry will reset their color back to the default Windows blue. Note this wont go into effect until after a reboot.

april_t_05

april_t_05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay, I did what you said and I got this message box:

Registry Editor
Cannot import C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\DESKTOP.REG: The specified file is not a registry script. You can import only registry files.

So, what now? :tazz:

Thanks for all your help!

april_t_05

april_t_05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
;) Ignore my last message! I tried a few more times and I got it. Thank you so much! You're the best :tazz: [COLOR=orange]

april_t_05

april_t_05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay now I have a problem. My screen is still black. :tazz: I rebooted and nothing happened. So what do I do now?

april_t_05

april_t_05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I got the background color to change but I can't put a image or anything on my desktop like I could before. I am not sure what to do but I hope you can fix it. Thank you so much for your help!

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi april_t_05

Please download the following tool.

smitfraud.zip

Let me know if this worked

Advertisements

april_t_05

april_t_05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
When I click on the thing you wanted me to download it tells me that I do not have permission to use this feature. I am logged in so I am not sure what else to do. Thanks again.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi april_t_05

Removal Instructions smitfraud

Right-click: HERE and select Save As (in Internet Explorer it's labeled Save Target As) in order to download the Smitfraud.reg file. Save this file to your desktop.

Locate the smitfraud.reg file on your desktop and double-click it. When asked if you want to merge with the registry, click the YES button. Wait for the "merged
successfully" prompt then follow the rest of the instructions below.

Reboot as normal

Then see if your desktop is working now

april_t_05

april_t_05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
You are the best!! :tazz: Thank you so much for all your help. I never would have fixed all this on my own. I do have another question though. I want to upgrade to Windows XP. Do you know a cheap or free way to do this? If you do please let me know. Thank you again for all your help.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi april_t_05

I live in the UK.

The best way to get A legal copy of XP is buy from a main dealer there are to many cheap copys of Xp on sale that are not legal when the user find out they can not up date it. Then have to buy XP again don't fall into this trap

april_t_05

april_t_05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
:tazz: Thank you so much for all your help. I am glad that I found your website. I do have some questions about a totally different topic. It involves a different computer that I have. Can I continue to write to you on here or do I need to start over? Thank you again and God Bless!!