Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot RDP to my Windows XP Pro machine

• Please log in to reply

bvjens31

bvjens31

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am a newly-graduated-from-college Network Technician from Iowa, and I am pretty stumped with my current situation. For work, I use a Dell laptop running openSuse 11, and frequently use krdc to remote to any Windows client or server I need to work on. But for some reason, I cannot RDP to my Windows XP box sitting in my apartment. They are both on the same network (172.16.1.0) and I can ping my XP machine from my laptop. I can also telnet to port 3391 on my machine. (I went into the registry and saw that RDP was listening on 3391). I went into my Tomato-powered linksys router and set up a port forward for TCP 3391 on my XP machine at 171.16.1.116. I've verified that I'm using the correct username/password. I also went and made sure that the Terminal Service service was running. I've gone into my firewall settings to ensure that TCP 3391 was in the exceptions list.

BUT, when I try to connect to my machine remotely using krdc, it does nothing, just sits there. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with krdc, because it remotes to any other Windows box, so that's why I'm posting this in the XP forum. Maybe there is some little switch that I'm overlooking within my XP box that needs to be flipped. I've done all I can think of, now I'm just looking for some more seasoned perspectives.

Maybe there's something deep within Tomato configs on my router that is blocking wireless RDP traffic? I just wanted to rule out anything related to XP first. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements