Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C:\Windows\System32 Program Popup - After Kaspersky Scan In

• Please log in to reply

Rampag3

Rampag3

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sent over by Spysentinel from the Malware Removal Forum after experiencing the following issue:

After running the Kaspersky scan in safe mode I've not been able to bring up any programs other than Mozilla Firefox from the Start menu. The scan found no traces of any virus but I am now unable to bring up any other programs from either the Desktop, Start Menu or All Programs. I am able to download programs but I am unable to run them as I receive the same pop up each time. Prior to scan I had no problems bringing up any of the programs. :)

After a couple of reboots in Normal Mode I continue to receive the following Windows pop up each time I attempt to bring up any program C:\Windows\system32\ (name of program).exe: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel

I'm thinking I may have brought computer out of Safe Mode incorrectly if there is such as thing. All I did was reboot computer in Normal Mode after scan. I've not attempted to do anything else to correct this. :)

Here is the link to my original post on the Malware Removal Forum to show what Spysentinel & myself were working on originally: http://www.geekstogo...-....html&st=15

I currently have an old Dell 4500 w/ Windows XP Home Edition, Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 1Gig of memory along with one internal & one external hard drive.

Thank You & I look forward to any help! :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first try system restore...go back prior to having the problem...if after cleaning the malware out of your system...the malware guys will have you clear out all the old restore points so you can't inadvertently put some malware back later ...BTW..that is the proper procedure...restore won't work for you

the problem is ".exe" files aren't run by another program, they are the program....
try looking here Broken EXE Association and see if it helps

Rampag3

Rampag3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Roger that...now I did have a few other questions regarding the system restore. What steps do I follow for system restore? And is this different than going back to my latest restore point? Thanks! :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Windows XP periodically records a snapshot of your computer. These snapshots are called restore points. Windows XP also creates restore points at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed) or you can create and name your own restore points at any time. If you've installed a program that has made your computer unstable, you can open system restore, choose a restore point, and return your computer to its previous stable state.

1.Click Start, and then click Help and Support.

2.Under Pick a Task, click Undo changes to your computer with System Restore.

3.Follow the instructions on the wizard.

if you use the newest restore point ...it may well have the same problem you have now...that why you pick a date BEFORE you were having the problem

Rampag3

Rampag3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Something seriously must have happened here...I am unable to run a system restore per your instructions. I attempted to bring up the Help & Support & I received the same pop up. I'm not able to access Performance and Maintenance via control panel either. Would it be possible to reboot computer & hit F8 key again to bring up other run options? :no: I don't know I'm just shooting in the dark here. Don't know what else to do. :no:

One thing different that I have noticed since after the initial run in safe mode is that during all subsequent reboots, for a split sec I see text on a black screen flash as it is loading with Windows run options. It loads to fast for me to even make a decision, I mean it doesn't give me any opportunity to even make a decision, it just loads & I login.

:) :) :) UPDATE :) :beer: :yes:

After first rebooting & attempting to restore back to last known configuration, which by the way did not work. I rebooted hit F8 key & brought up the different Windows run options & ran in Safe Mode I was able to access & my system restore & restore back to January 2nd restore point which fixed all issues related to Windows program pop up errors.

Your instructions were correct except in my case I had to perform them in Safe Mode to fix the problem not normal Windows Mode.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Rampag3

Edited by Rampag3, 08 January 2009 - 02:54 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)