Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screens of death plaguing my new computer

• Please log in to reply

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I just bought a new computer a little over a month ago. Recently I started receiving blue screen errors. The errors are 0x7A and 0xF4.

After doing some researching online I did standard checks of viruses and spyware. Completely clean. So I moved on to RAM and HARDDRIVE. I checked the ram and it passed at 100%. So I checked the hard drive assuming that the hard drive could be going back 100% pass.

After doing more research I found that a common problem is that the hard drive is not set to Master and during sleep mode it causes these errors. So I went and checked my Bios for more information on my computer and found the following:

IDE Channel 0: Master: CDDVD
IDE CHannel 0: Slave: None
IDE Channel 1: Master: Hard Drive
IDE Channel 1: Slave: None

Now I am not a genius but generally when I have built computers in the past the hard drive is set as the master and cd rom as slave? Could this be causing my blue screen's? Further more does it matter if the hard drive is set to channel 0 or 1?

Thanks in advanced.
Patrick

PS

Windows XP Pro Sp3
Dual Core 3.0
2 gigs of Ram
Samsung Hard drive 500gig
ATI 3850

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

In my experience having a hard drive as a slave instead of a master didn't really bother the op system too much. If your research indicates that it may be because of a sleep mode event, why allow the system to go into sleep mode? Your 0X7A events also indicate a windows 2000 problem? And a new computer that isn't running a SATA drive is a bit odd, (since all the new stuff down here as been SATA for over a year or more, and we are really at the end of the supply chain for new stuff).

What is your motherboard?