Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Powers Up to Acer Logo and Stops

• Please log in to reply

scarletp

scarletp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. My desktop powers on but stalls with the Acer Logo on the screen. Underneath the logo is Del:Enter Setup and F12: Boot Sequence. The computer does not respond to either. I have tried to enter the BIOS using Ctrl/Alt/Esc and still nothing. Tried all the F keys and nothing. I tried to Boot using my XP Disk and nothing. Checked all the connections inside and all seems fine. Tried another HD and nothing. Tried moving Ram sticks to different slots and zilch. Any help would be appreciated.
The Spec is as follows.

Acer Aspire T180-UB7Z
AMD Athlon 64 x 2 3800+
1GB DDR11
160GB
XP SP3

Thanks. SP

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do you hear any bios beeps? If you remove the video card, or all the ram, you should hear appropriate bios beeps. If you don't, then the bios may be dead... meaning, send the motherboard to the manufacture for a new bios chip, or if the chip is removable, call the manufacture and see if they can send you one.

Of course, it could also mean you lost some power form from your power supply. Do you have a multimeter you can use to measure the power forms?

Did you try removing and replacing the motherboard battery. This will reset the bios. Remove the battery for about a minute, then reinstall it. Try to boot up again. You might also try swapping the keyboard, or disconnecting it if you don't have a spare. Some bios will just halt if it doesn't sense the keyboard.

scarletp

scarletp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Do you hear any bios beeps? If you remove the video card, or all the ram, you should hear appropriate bios beeps. If you don't, then the bios may be dead... meaning, send the motherboard to the manufacture for a new bios chip, or if the chip is removable, call the manufacture and see if they can send you one.

Of course, it could also mean you lost some power form from your power supply. Do you have a multimeter you can use to measure the power forms?

Did you try removing and replacing the motherboard battery. This will reset the bios. Remove the battery for about a minute, then reinstall it. Try to boot up again. You might also try swapping the keyboard, or disconnecting it if you don't have a spare. Some bios will just halt if it doesn't sense the keyboard.

Hi Again. Thanks for that reply.

Removed the CMOS Battery for 30 minutes, replaced it, powered it up and the screen was blank and the unit was bleeping. Not even the Acer Logo was displayed. Put in a PCI Graphics Card to replace the onboard GC and I'm back where I was at the beginning. The Acer Logo on screen and no response to any keyboard instructions.

Power supply checked and OK.

Removed everything and started the beep process. It is an onboard GC so I kept the monitor connected which at power up was blank and One long beep which repeated itself occurred. Beep sequence did not change until I added RAM when the beep changed to One long beep and Two very short beeps. Still nothing on the screen. I added a PCI GC and the Beeps stopped and the screen returned to the Acer Logo and as usual would not respond to anything else. Back at the beginning and no beeps. Is this perhaps another example of a cheapo computer with cheapo MOBO and bits. Skip material perhaps.

The unit has 2 sticks of 512. It only needs 1 to work. If it feasible that Both Sticks could have damaged in some way.

Thanks.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Wow! That is THE worst vendor site I have ever seen! I had to chase all over the place to find information on your computer. THIS is the only site I found where they "may" have all the information you might need for a T180. I had to post the link in case someone else might need it.

In any case, apparantly something is very wrong with your desktop. I'm wondering if part of the keyboard controller is bad. Do the keyboard lights even come on when you boot? If you're using a PS2 keyboard, do you have a USB keyboard you could try. Many controllers control both PS2 and USB keyboards and sometimes one side dies but the other side works. I've seen it happen on ASUS motherboards before.

Due to the fact that you're getting varying beep codes when you make changes, makes it appear the bios is still alive. Try swapping keyboards, either another PS2, or USB.

Is this perhaps another example of a cheapo computer with cheapo MOBO and bits. Skip material perhaps.

I have had no experience with Acer, and I thought they might be decent, but after having to chase my butt around, I will never buy an Acer!