Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does this even exist?

• Please log in to reply

pinksalamander

pinksalamander

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a MacBook and a desktop PC. I'd like to be able to use a PC mouse and a Mac keyboard for both.

I've searched for a switcher but I find the concept really really confusing. I basically want something with two USB ports on the front, so I can plug in a Mac keyboard and a PC mouse, with two cables coming out the other side, one that plugs into my PC USB, and one that plugs into my Mac USB...

Does this exist? And how do they work? Is it a sort of 'plug and play' type thing like my external hard drive? Does the switching work via a button? I.E if I have both the PC and MacBook turned on, do I press a button on the switcher that means the peripherals are being used for the Mac, and press it again to switch it to the PC?

Sorry about the dumb question. I'm really not a hardware person. I've tried looking up on PC World and other computer shops online but can't find something appropriate. I'm in the UK too by the way...

Also, will a standard Mac keyboard be compatible with a PC? I tested my mouse and it works perfect on my Mac, but I'd like to use a Mac keyboard just because I've been using a PC forever, so the buttons are second nature to me, but I'd like to get into the habit of using a Mac keyboard.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have no experience as of late with Macs but I searched around and this is what I found: KVM

Im not sure if its what you need but let me know.

pinksalamander

pinksalamander

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, yes that is the kind of thing I've found. The thing that confuses me about it is the cable ends. I want them to be USB and those look like some kind of other attachment.

I've created a diagram of basically what I want.... (I have too much time on my hands!)

device.jpg

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
IOGear seems to have one thats fully USB and supports Windows, Mac, and Linux.

pinksalamander

pinksalamander

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your help. At least now I know it exists. I'll have to see if I can find a cheaper version though, and one from the UK! Thanks for your help!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
You are welcome, good luck in your search. I do know that Misco.co.uk is an authorized reseller of IOGear in the UK.