Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Disk Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

Pvt. Riches

Pvt. Riches

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Quite awhile ago I had a 30 gig Maxtor hard drive in my system as my master drive (like I said, QUITE awhile ago). One fine sunny day, my computer just decided not to boot up. I tried everything I could think of. When the computer booted, it would auto detect the drive as an IDE Hard Disk, but would then say "Primary Master Hard Disk Error, Press F1 to Resume". That would take me to the bios, where the HDD was listed, but would not boot into Windows. So I thought, time for a needed upgrade, and went and bought a new one. Once I got that one up and running with an OS system, I decided to hook the 30 gig back up as a slave drive just to see what would happen, and to see if I could get all my files off it. I once again got the same thing. Bios would recognize it as a IDE Hard Disk, but would then give me an error saying "Primary Slave Hard Disk Error, Press F1 to Resume". It would then boot windows from my new drive.

I just hooked it up again as a slave drive, and I have the same error. When I go into Windows, that 30 gig hard drive doesn't show up in My Computer at all.

I don't really care to have a small 30 gig hard drive installed on my computer. What I do care about are all my important pictures, documents, and other things on it that I'm afraid I will never get back. I have kept the thing for about 2 to 3 years now, hoping that one day someone can help me out to retrieve my stuff off it. And then I found this Forum. So I thought I'd put it out there, and pray someone can help.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go to Start>run... type in diskmgmt.msc
Does the slave drive show up? (You might have to resize the window.)

From your description, it sounds like the drive is dead. Does it even spin up? As a last resort, you might try throwing the drive into a plastic bag and putting it in the freezer for about 20 minutes or so. Then reattach it and see if Windows will recognize it. If it does... get the data off as fast as you can! If the drive is still not reconized, freeze it longer... you decide.

I know freezing has worked for many people, but as stated, I wouldn't do it unless you really suspect the drive is dead.

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Also, you might try this handy little application.
http://www.cgsecurit...stDisk_Download

Advise on this comes with no warranties because of it's "homegrown" nature, but I know it's worked for me in the past. Normally only when the partition table is corrupt or possibly a bad boot sector. If the drive is actually failing, it's possible it won't work at all.

*quick edit
Try testdisk before freezing it. You probably don't really want to stress the disk before attempting recovery if at all possible

Edited by lurky, 06 January 2009 - 07:17 PM.

Pvt. Riches

Pvt. Riches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for all the replies! Okay... I have noticed something new now. I tried the diskmgmt, and the drive didn't show up. I had my C: show up with it's extended partition, and the CD Drive show up, but not the 30 gig.

So I open my computer to go to the spot I saved test disk to run it, and notice I have 2 CD Drives there. So it now lists a total of 4 drives:

C: - Main 120 gig hd
D: - CD Drive (this is the drive that should be the 30 gig)
E: - Extended DOS partition from C: - this belongs
F: - DVD/RW Drive - This belongs

When I try to open D:, it says to insert a diskinto drive D. It's saying 0 bytes. When I go to drive properties, it only lists my DVD RAM drive, and my 120 gig Maxtor under the hardware tab. I ran test disk to see what it showed, and it only comes up with my Maxtor 120 gig as well.

Ideas? or should I just try freezing it for 20 minutes like a science project? LOL.

Edited by Pvt. Riches, 07 January 2009 - 08:05 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you tell if the disk is even spinning up? If it's not, I would start walking to the kitchen! By the way, from reading more about freezing, some are saying an hour or more. I never did it, but try reading up HERE, there seems to be more positive than negative results.

Edited by makai, 07 January 2009 - 08:20 PM.

Pvt. Riches

Pvt. Riches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So after eading up on freezing my harddrive, I tried it. The first time, it takes forever to get out of the main bios screen, and the bios doesn't even recognize that there is a primary slave installed, but windows still detects it as a CD Rom drive. So I would reboot the system, and then the bios would detect it, but still gives me the primary slave error, press F1 to continue error, and windows still only detects it as a CD Rom drive.

Oh well. I thought it was worth a shot. I'll just store it for another rainy day. Thanks for all the input.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You never know, one day it might start working again. Good luck, I hope you can recover it!

Take care!