Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Need Help

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, My husband worked on my computer yesterday and he said that it was slow. its an IBN R30. David my husband told me that there is spyware on it or something like that...it was working well all evening until he took it to our garage where he has his office and told me this morning that the computer wont boot up anymore...he said he put it as usually on Standby mode and when he woke up, he tried to turn it on but it did not want to boot up..so the bottom line is nothing shows up on the screen anymore...when i put a CD in the CD player it would turn in there but nothing happens at all...I tried to run the recovery CD but nothing showed up on the screen...I took the computer to a computer reperation place and they said that i might have to change the Mother Card....what do you think is wrong with it? do you have any ideas? I do not know much about computers but I have fixed my computer many times so far...so I know I can figure things out if I know where to start....Thanks in advance for your time and help...

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,490 posts
Sounds like possible a bad power supply to me, but a bad motherboard is a possibility.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The CD turning is an odd twist...in a laptop, that makes a bad power supply unlikely--it also makes a bad motherboard unlikely.

In fact, everything about that is odd....When you turn it on, do you ever hear sound--like the computer started but you cannot see anything?

That sounds more likely...LCDs have a backlight on them and these things burn out far too frequently. Can you hook it up to an external monitor (don't forget to turn the external monitor on with the FN key....for that matter, tap the FN + Monitor key anyway...maybe your husband inadvertantly turned it off--usually this is the fn+f7 key.