Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory question...

• Please log in to reply

Twisted Mental

Twisted Mental

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings fellow eggheads! I’m building a new PC and I’ve put together a pretty impressive rig…, well... for my budget anyway. The specs are:

ASUS P6T X-58 motherboard
Intel i7 920 (2.66GHz) quad core CPU
Corsairs 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 (1600) memory 9-9-9-24 timing
Western digital 1TB HD
Coolmax 950 Watt modular PSU
Radeon 4870 x2 GPU(1)
Vista Ultimate (64bit) OS

Now my question is concerning the memory. I have read up on the lower tier i7’s and found the 920 maxes out at 1066. Now I don’t plan to overclock any time soon, eventually I will, so I settled on the 1600 to leave me some head room when I do so. This particular model has a latency of 9-9-9-24. Will I be better off going with a 1333 or 1066 model with lower latency? Or will it not make that big of a difference in performance? Should the fact that I will overclock later make this a non issue seeing as the performance boost, with the lower speed/lower latency, will be small?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, and welcome. :)

Eggheads... Hmmm, you sure you on the right forum? :)

As you seem to understand, lower latency = better performance... And I haven't really been impressed by any of DDR3's latencies yet. But that being said, for your needs, it looks like that memory will be fine.

My only gripe with your build is using a Coolmax PSU, they're cheap rubbish. Get something decent, like a Corsair TX-750W.

Troy