Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Hello,

I am currently dual-booting XP Pro and Ubuntu. XP Pro on my main drive and Ubuntu on another drive. I would like to inquire as to what would be the best way to remove Ubuntu and re-format the drive to be used as a storage for media for XP Pro. (Its not that I dislike ubuntu, its just thats I am no longer taking a Linux class and could use that drive for storage) :)

Also after Ubuntu is removed, will Grub auto to XP Pro, or will I still need to scroll down and select it to boot.

Thanks

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If you have an XP install disk boot it and enter Repair Console, Type "FIXMBR" (no quotes). Boot Into Window and use Explorer to Format the second drive. Open My Computer, right click on the second drive and chose ""format".

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Do I need to do the FIXMBR? I have no problems with Grub, but if Grub or XP is going to has a hissy fit if Ubuntu is no longer in existence then I can do that.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Grub is no longer needed to boot your OSes. once you remove Ubuntu you will no longer have a /boot/grub/menu.lst and no where for grub to read the load list. Unless you have a boot partition (about 80MB) to store the boot files on and modify Grubs config to point at that partition Grub won't work. For simplicity it's easier to FIXMBR and just boot Windows as the native OS.

If you decide to dual boot with linux again Grub and/or Lilo are easy to reinstall. Modern Distros handle the task very well.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
My second drive currently does not show in My Computer. Will it show after I fix the MBR? Or will I need to format it through Disk Management?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Yes you'll need to format (NTFS). This will remove Ubuntu and allow Windows to read the drive. Windows is limited in the file formats it can read and use.