Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts
what would be the best virus remover/protection program. i am thinking of getting mcafee but i want to make sure there is nothing better. can anyone offer some suggestions?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If truth be told, McAfee AntiVirus/Security couldn't find itself if it had a big arrow over its head, flashing lights and vocal alarms. I used to think Norton (and Norton 360) was the worst thing going, but at least they flag something up even if its just a tracking cookie. You can run McAfee on a clearly infected computer and it'll claim its clean.

The tragic thing is, McAfee used to be THE program to have, many years ago. Now it rarely finds anything, takes all day to do anything and is generally more trouble than its worth.

Free alternatives include such options as AVG and Avast, then there are paid for options such as McAfee, Kapersky, Norton and Panda. I like Panda myself.