Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adding old computer to network

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I just got bored today and fixed my old computer! This does excite me (thought it's still kind of a piece of crap) but I was wondering If I could hook it up to the internet.

Right now, I have 3 computers hooked up to a router. They are:

2X Windows XP Home IBM PC
1X Windows XP Professional Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop

These are all hooked up through an "Etherfast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch" by Linksys. The two IBM PC's have an Ethernet cable input in the backs of the towers, and the laptop has an Ethernet card (the Ethernet cord goes into this white adapter that hooks into the Ethernet card).

Now the old computer that I just fixed is a eMachines etower 466is. It's OS is Windows 98, it has about 3 gigs left, and has 160 MB's of RAM. Is there anyway I can hook it up to the router? It's tower doesn't have any Ethernet inputs (that I can see) but does have two phone cord inputs. Can it be hooked up to the router and have the internet function? We used to have Dial-up when we used that computer and that worked fine.

Edited by friedpooodle, 05 May 2005 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

Zhewiz

Zhewiz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
You would need to get a NIC and install it to attain internet access.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Alright, a network interface card. Is there a certain one I need for this computer? Also, how do I myself (I don't have much money; don't worry, I'm not too computer stupid and have taken them appart before) install it.

Edited by friedpooodle, 05 May 2005 - 08:45 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
NIC= Network Interconnect Card. your standard Ethernet card. they are real cheap these days. drop it in a PCI slot, install the drivers, configure your connection, good to go!

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Alright, so I have to drop it in a PCI slot. Where/what is that? Is that one of those silver rectange things on the bottom of the back of my tower? Please go a little more into depth on this. I just need help on installing it into the PCI slot.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
PCI slots are usually beige, there will be more of them than any other. to install, shut down the PC, unplug it, ground yourself by touching a metal part of the case before touching any components. this is to discharge any static you may have built up on your body, so you dont accidentally damage anything.
the card will pop in, screw it down to the rear of the chassis. close it up and your good!

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks for the help. I got the NIC set up and everything is running fine. For anyone who wants an in-depth tutorial of how to do this, I found this website handy:

http://www.acmehowto...ork/replace.php