Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

an OS that uses 8 gigs of ram ? HELP!

• Please log in to reply

lou4uandme

lou4uandme

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,
I am so annoyed with Os technology. Ram is around 50 bucks per 2 gigs. I would love to put 200 gigs of ram in my pc, and I would use every bit of it too.
I use Premiere cs4 and After effects for editing HD movies. Within 2- 3 days of filling up the software with data, the memory usage is around 3.7 gigs and my system boggs down because WINDOWS only allows 2 gigs per software. I understand that 64 bit versions allow "a little bit more" but is not capable of 6 gigs of ram per software.

So, My question is... Is there an OS out there that allows 6-10 gigs of ram per software? I can't image ILM studios with their 6oo+ pc's only allowing 2-4 gigs of ram per user. This would cripple the movie Industries.

Why are we so far behind in ram capablities. What can I do to get the most ram per software?

Thanks,
Lou

Advertisements

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
dont think thats the problem with OS. and not quite get what you are asking. :)

lou4uandme

lou4uandme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry if I was ambiguous

I want to be able to use as much ram as I can buy. There is a 2 gig limit on all softwares opened up on 32 bit OS. 64 bit might be a little more.
I wanted to know if there is an OS out there that allows programs to use 6 gigs ,8 etc.. and not be limited to 2 gigs. After all, This 2 gig limit has been around since windows 95. Back then, there was only 16 mb of ram, and cost 200.00 to upgrade to 32mb. So, we were never going to max out on window's 2 gig limit.
Back then, softwares were designed to run on 8 mb of ram, and hard drives were 1 gig.
Today, programs are over 1 gig in size and using 1 gig of ram is common.
Now we are in the year 2009 and we still have the same limits as 1995. What gives?
I think MAC has a 4 gig limit. Red hat is 2 -4
Is there any OS out there that has unlimited ram use?

Thanks again,
Lou

Edited by lou4uandme, 06 January 2009 - 06:35 PM.

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok, I think I understand your question this time.

In fact, you want to put on more ram to your computer, correct ?

if so , u should find a new motherboard that would support many more ram slots on the board. The windows OS 32bits and 64bits will not effect ram size, I think. And you are right windows 32 bits will only show 3.7G ram if u put on 4 G. The 2 G is the maximum file size in windows 32bits OS,
Here is a link that probably will give you a lot idea on the ram size. http://www.extremete...,2068721,00.asp

good luck.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
There is some misinformation in the above statement, so let's quote M$: http://msdn.microsof...y/aa366778.aspx

Posted Image

*** In reality, any 32-bit system (4GB of RAM limit), depending on machine configuration, will use only from slightly below 3GB to ~3.5GB RAM.

Edited by Broni, 07 January 2009 - 08:32 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

The 2 G is the maximum file size in windows 32bits OS

There is no file size limit regarding bit type, or OS type.
Some older file systems had file limit size:
- FAT16 - 2GB
- FAT32 - 4GB
- NTFS - no limit

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

The 2 G is the maximum file size in windows 32bits OS

There is no file size limit regarding bit type, or OS type.
Some older file systems had file limit size:
- FAT16 - 2GB
- FAT32 - 4GB
- NTFS - no limit

FAT16 - 4GB as well
NTFS - 16 TB ( almost no limit).
according to http://technet.micro...y/cc766145.aspx

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts