Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HJT forum says it's your turn :-)

• Please log in to reply

GoDoAndB

GoDoAndB

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Please see the last 2-3 comments in this
http://www.geekstogo...amp;MSID=193934 for understanding of what I installed and believe to be the problem. THank you

http://www.geekstogo...15#entry1416921

Please reopen the above issue to help me clear up the issues resulting from the last set of downloads. I suspect it is the HOST program causing the problems, but I do not know how to uninstall it: 6 minutes to boot, no photos in emails anymore, unable to access many websites I used before, unable to dl ANYTHING from Limewire without getting a corrupt file warning from Avast. Thank you for your help.
Teresa

These sound like issues that should be brought up in the Windows 2000 forum, and/or the Application forums.

However, please note that we do not support Limewire and other P2P networking applications because they can be used illegally, and are a high risk for getting malware.

Since your logs were clean, I have closed the topics. Any issues not pertaining to malware are better asked in the other forums. I only have a good knowledge of malware issues, and they would be better off to help you there.

-- handhfan

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
:/ the linked thread has been removed. Could you please describe the problem as best you can again?

GoDoAndB

GoDoAndB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I believe it may be this program I installed (with great difficulty) http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm
that is causing these issues; 6 minutes to boot, no photos in emails anymore, unable to access many websites I used before, unable to dl ANYTHING from Limewire without getting a corrupt file warning from Avast. I understand you do not support LImewire, that is not the main issue here, but it being blocked is a result of what I was told to do on your site, and I thought it was important to mention all of the issues that now present themselves. I hope you can help me undo this. Thank you for your efforts.

T

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
To reset your "hosts" file...
Download HostsXpert ( http://www.majorgeek...ster_d4626.html ) and then follow the steps below:

* Unzip HostsXpert.zip
* It will create a folder named HostsXpert in whatever folder you extract it to.
* Run HostsXpert.exe by double clicking on it.
* click Restore MS Hosts File and then click OK.
* Click the X to exit the program

GoDoAndB

GoDoAndB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Very good - that did the trick - thank you. Now if I can just get Firefox moving at a decent pace!

Teresa

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Cool :)
Tell me more about your Firefox problem.

GoDoAndB

GoDoAndB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
When it is searching for a new page, or on Facebook or similarly large sites, or when I try to search in multiple windows (often), the system freezes; my cursor will move, but not fluidly, instead it is jerky and hit/miss to get it to stop on a link button or even to x-out of a tab. If I can manage to get to the task line to open something other than the internet, like Outlook, or Word, or anything else I can busy myself with while the PC takes 30-90 seconds to open the new site, I can move around freely in those other programs. It has been like this since I downloaded FF at the end of Oct.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since your computer was infected, and a lot of work was done to clean it up, some files might have get mixed up.
Try Firefox clean re-install: http://kb.mozillazin...talling_Firefox

GoDoAndB

GoDoAndB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Since the issue has been present from the initial download, and the malware elimination was just done, is it really necessary to delete FF completely? I have a ton of bookmarks, etc. I don't wish to loose everything, and fromt he instructions offered it seems it will be a complete delete and all new reinstall.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Maybe, initial install went wrong from the start.
Don't worry about bookmarks. Use Mozbackup: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite, Spicebird and Netscape profiles.

It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts, history, extensions, cache etc. It's an easy way to do Firefox backup, Thunderbird backup ...

Advertisements

GoDoAndB

GoDoAndB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
OK, I finally stopped procrastinating and uninstalled and reinstalled FF - it was so bad. My cursor is no longer jittery while searching - thank you for that. However, it still seems to take a bit long to open a page, even my homepage. Could something else be going on too?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That's better :)
Did you already install any add-ons/toolbars?

GoDoAndB

GoDoAndB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
No, none.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

it still seems to take a bit long to open a page

How long?
What type of connection do you have?

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")

GoDoAndB

GoDoAndB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
OK, Below are the requested specs, but my web searching is as slow as it was before reinstalling, and the jittery cursor is now back. It was fine for 2 days – apx 3hrs of surfing.

MS Windows 2000
service pack 4

AMD Athlon
AT/AT compatible
523.760KB RAM

25.6gb used
102gb free space

I ran scandisk/defrag about a month ago