Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange disconnections

• Please log in to reply

Kis

Kis

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have been having some strange "disconnections" in the last couple of months. I can't even pinpoint if I'd downloaded something new, or added a new program when it started to happen.

What happens is when I'm in different game sites, Mystic Island, Pogo and Slingo and PlayNC (Dungeon Runners), I will suddenly get disconnected from the site. All have different types of disconnects. In pogo, I get a Java applet can't load error message. This happens sometimes up to 5 - 10 times per hour. In slingo, the game window simply says Server Disconnected. In PlayNC, I either get a time out message, or if I do get in, it's so slow, that it's impossible to play, or it simply times out. Now, Mystic Island is the truly strange one. I'll be in the site, and chat will be going, and I'll be typing away, but my chat doesn't go into the room. I'm seeing the chat in real time, and trying to type back, but it doesn't enter the lobby. Sometimes my chat will eventually enter, about 20 lines of chat, all that I've typed while I was watching the chat, but normally I'll eventually get the message that I've been disconnected from the site.

I don't get disconnected from MSN when these things happen, so I don't think the problem is with my internet connection (Shaw Cable), or if so, then possibly just slowing things down a bit???

I had been connected via a Cable modem (Terayon , no clue of the version) and a router ( Belkin Wireless G Model F5D7230-4) I removed the router from the loop, thinking that was the cause of the problem. For the first day after removing the router, I thought things were fixed. I was able to play Dungeon runners without a single blip, and got into and stayed in pogo for hours. It was when I entered Mystic Island that the problems started all over again, and have gotten just as bad as before.

When these disconnects...slow downs... happen, I'm able to talk on MSN without any lag happening.

the following is my ipconfig data:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : owner-e85978e0e
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ls.shawcable.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ls.shawcable.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit E
thernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-C0-6A-62-92
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.109.121.56
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 24.109.120.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.59.176.40
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.59.176.13
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 06, 2009 10:02:52 P
M
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 08, 2009 12:21:04
PM

C:\Documents and Settings\owner>

Advertisements

Kis

Kis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Bump :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try disabling your firewall....
nojoy...
go here and get the latest java version...
nojoy...
what browser are you using...if its IE...
try this...Tools, Internet Options, Connections. Click "Lan Settings...". Untick the box automatically detect settings, and untick the box to use a proxy if its ticked.
If after doing either of the above you can no longer view any webpages, simply put the ticks back.

Edited by happyrock, 09 January 2009 - 08:38 AM.

Kis

Kis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Firewall has been off for months now, thought maybe that was the issue at first. I do use IE at times, however, my main browser is Firefox version 5.0. I think I have the latest java, as it just updated about a couple weeks ago, but I'll uninstall and get the newest again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does it happen with both browsers...
is there a particular time period it happens...
do you other programs running in the background...
go here and test your flash and shockwave...

Edited by happyrock, 09 January 2009 - 12:43 PM.

Kis

Kis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The problem does happen with both browsers. I've never noticed if it's happened more at a certain time of day or not. I've had it happen when I've had minimal things running in the background, and with lots in the background. It doesn't seem to matter what's running at the time.

I went to that site, there is a message saying that if I see the animation, then installation is complete. I see the animation. I also installed an update checker from File Hippo, from that site. I had a couple of updates needed for Flash player and shockwave player. I downloaded and updated both. The other updates are for programs that I will update, once they're no longer BETA updates.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and take the speed test...do 2 or 3 different sites...bookmark the link or leave the window open and minimized...then do what you normally do..
if / when you have been dropped out of the game or chat ...immediately run the speakeasy speed test at that time...
that's going to tell us if its the game server or your ISP that's causing the issue...

Kis

Kis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here are the results from 3 speed tests performed right after a boot out of Pogo.

Download: 2097 1797 1149
Upload : 457 455 473

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its not your ISP causing it ,,,,
it has to be the game end..have you tried contacting them to see if they can help...
the only thing I can think to try is to uninstall the game and reinstall it...

Kis

Kis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've reinstalled Mystic Island a few times now, still the same issues. Pogo, there isn't really a download, you load the games which are on their server. They use applets, not sure how I'd go about dumping those so they'd have to reinstall though. Slingo is the least of my concerns, their site has a lot of issues with disconnects, so not going to worry about it. Dungeon Runners, I'll try to uninstall and reinstall that.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get the 3rd one down...its a java plugin extension for firefox...

Kis

Kis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I re installed Java, was told I already had that version, but did it anyway lol. Went and tested it, and it's working correctly.

Kis

Kis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I'm still having all the same issues. I've copied the Java log when I boot out of pogo. Not sure if this will be helpful, I have no idea what any of it means.

I copied from the line before I booted out:

Client:Progress image loaded.
FATAL server error 431: timedout waiting for packets
InvalQueue thread exiting: InvalQueue-com.pogo.ui2.awt.q[ClientApplet-ChatPanel,0,0,249x403,invalid,layout=com.pogo.ui2.awt.e]-ClientApplet-ChatPanel
ImageCount:27
RasterCount:3
InvalQueue thread exiting: InvalQueue-1-com.pogo.ui.a[panel0,0,0,498x403,invalid]
Timer thread exiting: slots-reel-timer0
Timer thread exiting: slots-reel-timer2
Timer thread exiting: slots-reel-timer1
Timer thread exiting: ScrollingLabelTicker
Timer thread exiting: TextFieldCaretBlinker
Timer thread exiting: ScrollbarButtonRepeater
Timer thread exiting: ClockTicker
Timer thread exiting: slots-idle-timer
Timer thread exiting: slots-jackpot-lights-timer
Timer thread exiting: slots-jackpot-increment-timer
Timer thread exiting: slots-handle-timer