Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Repairing a non-working Win XP drive with a working one.

• Please log in to reply

elsaddiq

elsaddiq

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, here goes:

I have a computer with Win XP Pro that stopped booting. This was not after any downloads, updates, etc. It freezes at the Windows splash screen everytime. I can enter the safe boot menu but after choosing safe mode it also freezes. When choosing last known configuration, it again freezes. So...

Using the same hardware, I made this drive a slave drive [E] using a working Win XP Pro drive [C] as master. [I don't know if this matters but both have legit XP Pro licenses but they are different licenses.] Everything works fine and I can access all the files from the non-booting [E] drive with no problems. My question is how can I repair the non-booting drive using this setup?

[Note: I've run multiple AV and malware programs including Malwarebytes and have found nothing.]

Thanks.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello elsaddiq, and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Do you still have the XP disks?
There are so many files that -could- be damaged and so many files you shouldn't just 'copy across'.

Regards,
Olrik

elsaddiq

elsaddiq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I do have the XP disks. What should I do? And can I do it without losing my files?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello again elsaddiq,

A simple Windows Repair would most likely fix it.
Simply put the hardware back as how it was before and follow those steps.
The Windows Repair does NOT damage any files, it only replaces system files.

Regards,
Olrik