Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Happened and What's wrong with my Computer?

• Please log in to reply

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Artellos I can't really get into my computer, cause it reboots via windows screen LOL but I can run it on laptop, is that alright?

dsenette, Nope! It doesn't do it anymore, it only did it right after the Blue Screen(when I was scanning) and when I kept restarting it(Cltr + Alt + Del) but after I turned it off for a few minutes, I turned it back on and it never appeared again.

This is what happens now thought; computer turns on, everything acts normal then the "Your computer was not shut down properly etc etc etc, then it has the "Safe mode and Networking, Safe mode with command prompt, last known configuration and start windows normally" page. I've tried Safe mode, last-known-config and start windows normally and none of them have worked. All of them all load until the windows logo with the progress bar and just restarts itself after 5sec or so.

Thanks for trying to help me! Really appreciate it! I won't touch or do anything with that computer until I get the A-OK from you ^^

Advertisements

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Dum Di Dum

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry for the delay...got busy on friday and i don't post on weekends (much)

can you try the safe mode with command prompt option? if so what happens?

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Okay, I just tried and I'm not sure if it finished loading the command prompt start-up page but it just reboots automatically during that process..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
If you DO NOT have your Windows XP disk

• Download RC.ISO from Here.
  • Now burn this ISO image to a CD and boot your computer with it.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD-ROM. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro to another Windows machine and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Once the CD is created, place it in the defunct computer
  • Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Okay I burned the RC.iso image and it runs on start-up, but I have to press "To run from CD, press any key" and when I press "any key" then it runs

After going to the Recovery Console Command Prompt, I type in chkdsk /r on the RC.iso program as well right?

It's 25% completed and it saids CHKDSK is preforming additional checking or recover...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let me know when it's finished

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Done!

CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.
30009388 kilobytes total disk space
636624 kilobytes are available

4096 bytes in each allocation units
7502347 total allocation units on disk
161656 allocation units available on disk

I'm still on that page with C:\> What's the next step?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
type exit and press enter...this SHOULD restart your computer....see if it boots to windows now

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Ohh Window starts! BUT

BUT!

It goes pass the windows logo screen and I can actually see my mouse-pointer BUT it's a black screen...pitch black..

=/

I'm not sure if its just that my computer is slow or something?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try safe mode

and hold tight.....gonna get a couple more eyeballs in here

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Okay, same problem.

I can now go pass the Windows Logo + Progress Bar and into Windows BUT It's a pitch black screen with my Mouse Pointer(which I can move around)

The difference is the top has the "Safe Mode Microsoft ® Windows XP ® (Build 2600 etc etc etc) and bottom has "Safe Mode"

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...i've asked for a few more eyeballs to show up and take a look

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Woohoo!! Update!

It's not not pitch black but it's now* the blue screen when window books up

"Microsoft Windows XP"

"Windows is Starting Up.."

Edited by networkz, 12 January 2009 - 04:06 PM.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
WHOA It loaded...kinda...

"To begin, click your user name"

should I sign in as Admin or my account?