Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

found hard drive

• Please log in to reply

settlers

settlers

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I was lazy when my blue screen came and lost my c drive with windows and all i did was ran r for repair with a windows disk and ran fixboot after that my drive said 0 0 and on boot up said none so not to fear I just left it there dead .I had another hard drive already in as a back up so I installed windows on that. Then bought a new drive and didn't put it in yet .but now after a lagging in game I rebooted and a window pops up new hardware found drive e ......its my old drive Im curently doing a virus check on but what will happen on a reboot since both have simaliar programs and both have windows and ones Ide and ones sata will the old try to take back the computer or worse a failure .Afriad what to do next try del old windows or ???????

thats my proplem thanks for any answers

Advertisements

settlers

settlers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
P.S night before my blue screen of D. it said my antivirus did find that blood hound virus but figured it was being taken care of. After finding my drive my antivirus finds nothing for viruses now doing malware check.

Still wondering what may happen if I reboot this machine seems clean from virus but will 2 drive with about same size disk and windows screw me up or is the Lettering set now that its new hardware and assigned L e drive.

Edited by settlers, 07 January 2009 - 11:49 AM.

settlers

settlers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
still waiting what to do before reboot backed up some stuff going to do more

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
OK, first you need to be patient. This is a volunteer forum and we all have other jobs.

Lets see if I can sort through this.

I will make some assumptions because you haven't given us enough info.
Just because the drive is "now found" does not mean it is still bootable. This is the one that had the blue screen.

Where is the "dead" drive? What position? master, slave ?
Where is the backup drive that you re-installed windows on? What position.

Which is the sata?
Which is the ide?

settlers

settlers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
okay my lost drive is sata believe master my new windows drive which was allways there I believe is slave and on IDE both home addictions of XP both ntfs . I did try getting boot up tools to see that drive but closes thing was a 30 meg drive being seen probly unpartioned part but thats it now after leaving my machine on and going to work it shows no old drive so its hidden back again. I was told sata are faster and more touchy then IDE .Plus I've had to replace the sata cable already once. So going to reboot now that its not there OH well