Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need help with this one :(

• Please log in to reply

steve-in-fla

steve-in-fla

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I got a virus recently on my laptop (Win-XP) that got progressively worse until it finally prevented me from doing anything.

Background: A couple months ago, I got a Virtumonde (sp?) virus and was able to get rid of it following the the steps outlined on this site. This time, I didnt get the chance to use all of the steps specified here. This is what happened.

I was running a drive cleaner (HD Cleaner) which I have used many times before. At some point after it finished, I returned to find the display size increased by about 300%. That is, I could only see about half of what I should be seeing. I tried to resize through Control Panel/Display/Settings but the "OK" button at the bottom of the box was no longer there...so I couldn't resize. I realized then that I had a virus so I started following the steps recomended here. I was able to run ATF-Cleaner but when I tried to run Malwarebytes, the display was so large I could not select the "RUN" button. I did not have the option to scroll down to where it should be. I then tried to reboot in "SAFE MODE", but that was a no-go. It would start to boot and then feeze. I tried safe mode several times to no avail. Now when I boot and try to load windows normally, I only get my desktop background without icons, taskbar or "START" button. I ONLY see the desktop background image. I'm affraid I'm stuck...any suggestions?

Advertisements

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and reply here with your log.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

steve-in-fla

steve-in-fla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and reply here with your log.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

My main problem is that I cannot do much of anything except turn on the computer and look at a blank desktop wallpaper with no icons. I cannot access the internet or use "START" because its not there. Will "Hijack This" load and open automatically from the CD drive? Remember, that I do not have the option of opening the drive myself.

Thanks