Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crashes

• Please log in to reply

donnyboy

donnyboy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Kat,
I'm hoping someone can enlighten me about a recent problem I had. I left my older (6 year old) E-machine on while we went out to eat saturday evening as I always do and AOL was not signed on. When I returned from the restaurant the on- off button was blinking and making strange noises. I could not open the cd rom to do a recovery. The next day I took the tower to the Best Buy Geek Squad and they told me the motherboard was shot. I have everthing on a surge protector and there was no storms in the area.
The next day after turning on my Acer Aspire laptop it started acting up after it loaded properly and was working correctely. It is now in crash mode and says that I loaded some program that won't let me recover or go to safe mode or anything that I have tried to repair this laptop.
On Monday when I got my new HP desktop, after I hooked everything up, my Xerox LCD Monitor would not turn on and it is only 2 years old.
Do I have a curse on me or is it just a coincidence that all of these items quit working so close together?
Please tell me what I can do to recover my laptop as I do not have a recovery disk for it.
I realise that I am asking a lot here but need to ask one more thing and that is, can I take the harddrive from my crashed desktop and put it into my HP desktop to recover my photos and files? Will this cause a problem with the new desktop?

Advertisements

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Are you saying none of ur computer works ok ? lol .
I think you had a crap surge protector. btw 6 yrs for a computer is quite a long lasting life.
So for your questions on recover photos , the answer is yes, you probably would be able to take out the hard drive and put in hp desktop as a slave drive. It will not cause problem.

donnyboy

donnyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Are you saying none of ur computer works ok ? lol .
I think you had a crap surge protector. btw 6 yrs for a computer is quite a long lasting life.
So for your questions on recover photos , the answer is yes, you probably would be able to take out the hard drive and put in hp desktop as a slave drive. It will not cause problem.

donnyboy

donnyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you for the answer...the Acer Aspire laptop is only a year old .....maybe I picked up a virus but I have Norton virus protection and try to be careful with what I open. Is there something I can do to recover this laptop?

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
For that , I need some more information. Can you describe clearly what actually happened to your laptop? Otherwise, I can only provide my guess. :)

donnyboy

donnyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the sceen looked like Windows Vista blue streaks but no words or Icons...when I reboot to start over I nget a screen that says I added some software or program that damaged the startup but I had not added anything before this happenned and it will not let me start up in safe mode or repair mode or any of the listed modes

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry , I am not quite sure what you described situation. Let me see, Windows is sort of working. Just no icons on the desktop. And gives you a warning of damaged startup ?

donnyboy

donnyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
after rebooting I get a warning on the black screen that I have loaded a software that has damaged the system and asks if I want to start up in repair mode or regular startup....when I put it in repair mode to startup it takes a long time...over 10 minutes then a blue screen shows up as if Vista is trying to start but never finishes loading the icons....if I go to F8 as it is booting up then I get about 10 options such as safe mode, safe mode w/ commands or last previous good setup....but none of these work