Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dell Latitude D610

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell latitude D610 laptop and awhile back I had a problem with it freezing up. I would have to manually shut off the device and then reboot. However, upon reboot, you would hear the HD start and then the laptop would power off. After a few minutes..no more than 10 min...the laptop would start up no problem only to freeze after awhile. There was one instance that upon restart I got a mesaage that the laptop shut off due to overheating. I replaced then fan and reset the heatsink..adding new paste to the heatsink. Same problem. The fan does run. I then tried to reset the RAM cards (2 512 MB cards). I discovered that by removing one of the RAM cards that the computer would boot right up after a freeze up. I thought it was a bad RAM card. I still have the freeze up issue. I ran a virus scan with Norton (in safe mode as well). No issues found and still freezes. I ran a dskchk...fixed some thigns. Still freezes up. I looked at all hardware on the laptop (drivers and such) and could not pinpoint it to a source. I ran a diagnostic check on the hardware (motherboard, RAM test, etc.)...came up clean. Still froze up. I then reloaded windows. I cleared out the HD and reloaded ith with a fresh
copy of XP pro. Still freezing up and now we are even back to once the laptop freezes up it will not restart rith away. I again have to wait a bit to start it back up.
I am at a loss. I cannot figure this one out. It does not make any sense. It stayed running during the entire reloading of windows with no problems. Now the problem is back. I have a feeling it something with a driver or deive (wireless card) but I can't seem to prove it.
Any suggestions??