Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

linux dual boot

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Ive made a couple of live boot disks, but ive been wondering, if you install linux on a pc, with xp already on it, does it replace xp, or give a dual boot option during the startup?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Most Linux distros allow for dual boot. As part of the installation, you can select other partitions to boot from or you can change it after the install (grub is easier to deal with).

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
ok, thanks...so how do i go about actually installing linux on my pc?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
First, you need to decide which distro to use, then create a CD or DVD and then put it in the drive and follow the instructions. If there is no free space available, you need to use a program to reduce the size of the partition, such as gparted, as long as there is enough free space on the partition. You need to backup the data first.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
If you are inrerested in Ubuntu, the following installer called WUBI takes all the hassle out of the installation. I installed it directly from Windows and it can be uninstalled via Add/Remove programs in your Windows Control Panel. It gives you a choice of what OS to boot into at startup. I installed Ubuntu along with Vista Ultimate SP1 without any difficulty. As they say in their info, click install and go have a cup of coffee. It will be installed before you get back without your help.

Wubi - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows

Edit: Added the link to Wubi

Edited by Trevuren, 10 January 2009 - 02:23 PM.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
thanks, im totally doin it. :)

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Please keep me informed on how everything went.

Thanks

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
it installed ok, and quite easily, but after i went into it, it froze. that is probably my computers fault, though. but after i restarted it, and tried to go back in, it wouldn't let me type my password for my account, so i haven't been able to get back in...any suggestions?

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
sorry, but i never figured it out, and i needed the extra hard drive in my computer, so i had to erase it...

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
When I used to mess around with dual-booting linux with Windows, there was a way I had to do it. I looked it up online and what they said worked. This is how I went about it. I also do not know if it is still like this.

If you have two hard drives I recommend putting Windows on the master drive (you would actually have to due to the fact that it will not install on the slave drive at all) and putting your Linux OS on the other hard drive.

If you only have one hard drive I recommend splitting the hard drive in half, space-wise. For example, if you have a 160GB Hard Drive, you would give Windows 80GB and you would give Linux 80GB.

You need to install Windows first then install your Linux OS. The meaning behind installing Windows first is because if you don't it will not add Windows to your Linux boot loader.

Hope this helps!

Advertisements

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
i would do that, i just cant remember how to re-partition a drive. and if i do, do i format the drive first?

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Yes, but be sure to backup whatever you would need to get off of the Old operating system. When you install windows you can tell it to take up the whole drive because most linux installers will split it for you.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
but i already have windows installed, so i would have to take it off, and reinstall it, after splitting the drive?

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
No, It would just shrink the Windows partition. Most likely to half of the hard drive.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
oh, i can do that...i must say though, my favorite so far is pclinux...