Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turtle USB2.0 speeds on Laptop running vista normal?

• Please log in to reply

mag00n

mag00n

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not sure if this is the best thread for this topic to be in, so if a moderator reads this can you please move to the appropriate thread? Thanks :)

First the specs:
HP Pavilion dv3510nr Entertainment Notebook
2.0GHz Intel Centrino Core2 Duo Mobile
NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GS Graphics
4GB Ram
3 USB2.0 Ports

So I just picked this laptop up a month ago and am disgusted with the read/write transfer speeds of the usb. Ive googled every combination of words pertaining to my issue and came up with nothing :)

I guess my question is are write speeds of 1.2MB/s normal on a "new" laptop? My Media Center PC can transfer gigabite size files in a matter of seconds on the same thumb drive. (Kingston Traveler 4Gig & 8Gig drives)
Is there a way to tweak the removable storage settings?
Could this have to do with running 64bit VS 32bit?
Is my laptop trying to zero out before it writes?

The really odd thing is that my wifes laptop, which is also an HP Pavilion thats about a year old has transfer rates 3 or 4 times the speed of mine!? She is running Vista 32bit.

I am seriously thinking about returning my laptop since the thought of transferring anything, which is a daily thing, only irritates me. If this cant be solved then I suppose I will have to go out and buy an eSata thumb drive.
Hopefully there is a workaround out there?

[Edit] Just thought Id note that im running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 incase that helps

Edited by mag00n, 07 January 2009 - 08:05 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
I am not as up on 64 bit OS as I am with 32 bit.
Vista has an issue with the transfer speeds, which is addressed in service pack 1.
Is your machine up to date? Do you have service pack one?
Also I would like to ask if you have tried another flash drive? There are different read/write speeds for different flash drives.

mag00n

mag00n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply!

Yes my system is up to date and SP1 came pre-installed. Just checked to make sure my drivers for the usb drive are up to date as well.

I Have tried a variety of drives, flash cards, and I even connected to my "My Book" 1Tb external drive and got the same result. Very slow.

Again - thanks for the reply, this is very frustrating.