Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using my Laptop IP Address to locate

• Please log in to reply

edrox

edrox

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello

First, I apologize if this is in the wrong place. If so, hosts, please locate wherever it should be. I wasn't sure.

About a week ago, my laptop was stolen. It sucks, ya, but it has strengthened my resolve to find those responsible.

Here is what I need to know - or get some help on. I have some old emails that were sent from the laptop, so I have the originating IP address of the machine. With that information, is it possible to find it, should it log onto the internet? Is there anything at my disposal to help me locate the machine with technology? Or am I left to the ham-handed local PD?

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Unless you have a LowJack for your Laptop like Adeona I'm afraid you will have to hope the Police get lucky and find it. IP addresses are assigned to the point of access not the device that is connected to the access point. Many ISPs use Dynamic IP addressing which means the IP for any given access point can change IP addresses just by disconnecting from the Internet for a few minutes. IPs can be traced to the user through Log files ISPs keep but without a signal from your Laptop there is no way to track it down.