Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen, cant load WinXP CD to repair

• Please log in to reply

jamesosteen

jamesosteen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK so yesterday morning I go to start my computer and as soon as the Windows logo appears it goes to blue screen.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been [bleep] down to prevent damage ...blah blah"

Technical information : *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8A608268, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

So I restart and go to boot menu. I can't boot to last know good configuration, cant boot to safe mode with netoworking, cant boot to safe mode with command prompt, cant boot to safe mode. All results in the same BSOD.

So I decide ok I'll put in my WinXP CD (It's a DELL reinstalliation CD) and try to repair or run a CheckDisk. Now when I try to boot from CD it tells me ...

"selected boot device not available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. I have checked the BIOS / setup screen and everything looks the same. It reads my HD and Devices, and the boot menu looks fine. I even tried removing all option from boot menu and leaving just onboard CDROM, but still said "selected boot device not available."

So frustrating! I have had a similiar problem before and DELL Phone support ruled it was my motherboard, which is bull. They sent a tech out and the guy said this isnt a hardware issue and changed something in the BIOS and it started working. But I cant see anything in the bios that is wrong.

I just want to save the data on my HD. I cant even do a parrallel installiation if my CDROM isnt reading the WinXP CD (Note the CD is good because another computer will boot from it). If only that would work then I could move past the BSOD problem. UGHHHHH>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi jamesosteen...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)

look in your bios and set the boot order to the cd drive first...then the hard drive...save your settings by pressing F10 (usually) but read the screen to be sure...
try booting from the cd...use the repair option ...type chkdsk /r at the command prompt...press enter

jamesosteen

jamesosteen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
As stated before I already fixed thre boot order and it did not work.

However I did fix the problem.

When you default the BIOS on a DELL and it has two drives (CD and DVD) you need to go into the BIOS and disable the CD DRIVE which shows as (PATA-0) and DVD is (PATA-1). If you do that then it will boot from the DVD Drive with no problem and thus windows DVD is bootable. If you leave the CDROM enabled in the BIOS then you are unable to boot from the Windows DVD...it just keeps saying no boot device available. So I'm up and running now. My system is completely hosed down by a virus (nothing on desktop will move or open when I click it) and all of my spyware / antivirus programs give me errors when I try to open them. So it will be a journey fixing the entire problem. Thanks anyway though.