Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Firefox 3.0.5 & Vista loading problems

• Please log in to reply

supernova87

supernova87

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there.

I've been having some problems with firefox since switching to it from IE as an alternative web browser. I've had it for about 2-3 weeks now since being previously on here and told to use Firefox or Opera as they're less buggy than IE.

Thing is though, sometimes Firefox will decide not to load pages and will just continue to load with a blank white page on screen. And when I exit and try to restart Firefox it will pop up a message stating this, "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system".

I don't know if it's to do with Vista or Zonealarm or even Avast antivirus.

These are 2 excerpts from "mozillazine.org" website about zonealarm and Avast on Vista:

"If you use ZoneAlarm on Windows Vista, Firefox may stop loading web pages and may also not exit properly. You may not be able to end the firefox.exe process and will need to restart the computer before you can reopen Firefox. If these suggestions don't work, uninstall ZoneAlarm and use another firewall (or use the Windows Firewall).

If you use Avast! Antivirus, switch to another antivirus product if you also have ZoneAlarm installed."

I also switched antivirus software from AVG to Avast since AVG wasn't really working too well.

Any ideas or solutions to these problems is much appreciated.

Edited by supernova87, 08 January 2009 - 11:09 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This behaviour is typically caused by two main things:

1) Antivirus/Internet Suite/Firewall software
2) Buggy or faulty extensions in Firefox.

That being said, Firefox does have an occasional issue where if it gets hung up trying to show, for example, an advertisement from a remote site and said site isn't loading, nothing else will load until the stuck link has timed out. This could also be caused by websites that are badly coded.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts

And when I exit and try to restart Firefox it will pop up a message stating this, "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system".

When the above happens, you have to open Task Manager, and kill "firefox.exe" process.

Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). If Firefox works OK in safe mode, then you have add-on(s) problem.
Main suspects - toolbars: Google, Yahoo, etc.

supernova87

supernova87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Right, so really I should turn off my Avast antivirus software when using firefox?

Thanks.

EDIT: well firefox has stopped working again after 10 minutes. Also, have stopped Avast software protection, opened task manager, ended firefox process, tried to restart in safe mode but still same message pops up. And have removed toolbars i.e. google etc.

Any ideas?

Edited by supernova87, 09 January 2009 - 06:42 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts

so really I should turn off my Avast antivirus software when using firefox?

I didn't say anything like that.

Go for Firefox clean reinstall: http://kb.mozillazin...talling_Firefox, and this time, stay away from installing any toolbars.