Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recovering data from compressed 98 floppies

• Please log in to reply

Luxie

Luxie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a stack of about 10 floppy disks that were created using Windows 98; some of them were compressed. Is there any way to access this data? The disks are in good working condition, but I no longer have a computer that runs 98. I got a quote of over $1000 to do this from a data recovery place, and would rather not go that route!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well the ones that are not compressed should be accessable from any computer with the proper floppy drive. The compressed ones may be much harder as you would need to use the same compression technique to uncompress though a data recovery software MAY be able to help with that.... I have used getdataback by runtime systems with good luck but that was on hard drive recovery so not sure it can 1) do floppies and 2) deal with a compressed format.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Also, floppies degrade over time. So if it tells you the floppy is not formated and you KNOW it originally had uncompressed data on it. That floppy has possibly gone bad.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You may also read this: http://www.velocityr...open-in-xp.html, post #9