My original plan was to install the hard drive with the destroyed OS as a slave on the 8250, get rid of the virus, and then perhaps reinstall Windows on that drive (although this last step was not necessary). Then I would put that hard drive back in my 2400 and install the 8250 hard drive along with it, either as a primary or slave (depending upon which drive now had Windows). The reason is because the 2400 works better and runs faster, with 512MB RAM compared to 256MB RAM, etc.
The problem is that the label on the hard drive with the corrupt OS says "Limit Capacity to 32GB" on the chart showing the jumper position for slave. The data on the hard drive I am trying to preserve (and eventually gain access to) is almost 80GB worth. Does this mean I cannot install it as I intend? If I do, will I lose my data or simply not be able to access it? I cannot simply transfer data from the 2400 hard drive to the 8250, because the 8250 hard drive can only hold about 38GB with Windows installed. That is why I must rid the 2400 hard drive of the virus and (apparently) reinstall Windows so that it can be a master and not a slave, as it seems to be the only way to access all 80GB of my data again.
Considering this scenario, is there a better way to go about all of this? Or is it safe to do things as I originally planned, and should it work? Thank you.
Priority 1: Preserve the data.
Priority 2: Get rid of the virus.
Priority 3: Gain access to the data and be able to use it again.