Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please can someone help an old biddy with xbox issues!

• Please log in to reply

nickynoodles

nickynoodles

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi everyone, I have a new computer - I was previously using a D-link router which my sons xbox picked up automatically.

Now though, I am using a siemens gigaset SE572 (supplied by orange) We cannot connect the xbox up no matter what we try?!

I am connecting my pc to the router via an ethernet cable, I set up a wireless connection to get the WEP code but nothing we try is working - I am so baffled and my teenage son is cussing me!!

Any help - would be very much appreciated

He has a wireless connector and that is permanently showing a red light!

Nicky x

Edited by nickynoodles, 08 January 2009 - 01:59 PM.

Advertisements

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Hello, and Welcome to GeeksToGo,

It sounds to me like you need to setup Port Forwarding to allow your xbox to access the internet through your router. Port Forwarding is Basically allowing Devices or Programs access to your internet while being able to bypass your routers internal firewall.

First, you will need to setup a Static IP for your xbox, so that way it uses the same IP everytime you connect. There is a Good Guide on this Here. (Although Since you use xbox live you should be using the new dashboard NXE, it should be very similar to the steps listed just in the system settings folder on your Xbox Dashboard) You will need the Residential Gateway of your router, which should be 192.168.1.1 by default. Your IP address you enter in to the Xbox above the subnetMask should be similar but not the same as your residential gateway. I suggest something like 192.168.1.32 This way any wireless Computers using your network will not accidentally use the same IP in thier automatic connection.

Then you will need to move on to te next step, setting up the router for port forwarding. you will need the IP you entered into the Xbox right before Subnetmask. There is a good guide Here. Although I do not know the default password for this router, it should be in the manual that came with the router. If not then u may need to call the company who produced it and ask them. If you need any further assistance please just ask.

Oblivionon360

nickynoodles

nickynoodles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Oblivion, thank you so much for your reply - how spooky? I found, and purely by chance, the same website you directed me to!!!

I simply followed step-by-step instructions (god knows how I did it!!) and hey presto, it worked Here is the page I found. I have saved to favourites (just in case!)

Open a web browser like internet explorer or Netscape. Enter the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser. In the picture above the address bar has http://www.google.com in it. Just replace all of that with the ip address of your router. By default the ip address should be set to 192.168.1.1.

You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. Enter your username and password now. By default both the username and password are admin. Click the Login button to log in to your router.

Click the Wireless button near the top of the page.

Turn on the option called Wireless Network.

In the box called Wireless Network Name (SSID) put a name that you make up. You will need to remember this name because it will be used to connect to your wireless network. Do not make it obvious to guess, the network name should be difficult for your neighbors to guess. If you can not think of anything, simply use your first name.

In the box called Channel, pick a random channel number. Channels make it so that you and your neighbors can use your own wireless networks without interfering with each other. By picking a random channel you reduce the chance of your neighbor using the same channel as you.

Turn off the option called Wireless SSID Broadcast. This turns off the broadcast of your networks name making it more difficult for other people to find your network. You do not want to broadcast your networks name.

When you are finished, click the Save Settings button.

Click the Wireless Security link near the left side of the page.

Choosing your network security type can be challenging. Use the table below to help you decide which encryption type is best for you.

Security Strength Encryption Type Description
Best WPA2 Stands for Wi-Fi Protected Access. This is the newest version of WPA, and is generally considered the most secure. However, most users do not have WPA2 available yet. If your router supports WPA2, and you are running Windows XP SP2, then this is most likely your best choice for security. WPA2 is generally not compatible with small, standalone devices like game consoles, MP3 players, phones, and cameras.
Excellent WPA Stands for Wi-Fi Protected Access and is generally the best choice right now for most users. If your router supports WPA, and you are running Windows XP SP2, then this is most likely your best choice for security. WPA2 is generally not compatible with small, standalone devices like game consoles, MP3 players, phones, and cameras.
Better than nothing WEP - Open Key Stands for Wired Equivalent Privacy. This is the old security method and should only be used if WPA is not available to you. WEP comes in different bit lenghts, usually 64 bit (sometimes called 40 bit) and 128 bit. Pick the largest number that you see. There is no reason to use a small bit lenght anymore. Shared Key means that you must share your key (password) with other users before they can use your network.
Not secure WEP - Shared Key This version of WEP is generally considered not secure. Do not use it, unless it is your only choice.

Select WEP from the Security Mode drop down box.

Select 128 bit from the Key Length drop down box.

Select Open System from the Authentication Type drop down box.

Select Default Transmit Key from the key 1 drop down box.

If you are using WPA
Now you need to make up a passphrase.

Your WPA key can be a plain text, human readable sentence. Make sure it is long, however, because recent hack attempts have exploited short WPA passphrases. Your WPA passphrase should be at least 30 letters long.

Onnce you have made up your passphrase, write it down somewhere. You will need it at each computer that you are going to connect to your network.

If you are using WEP
Now you need to make up your network key.

It doesn't matter what this key is, as long as it is random. A network key is a password that is 26 characters long, and made up of only the letters A,B,C,D,E,F and the numbers 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. If you are using 128 bit WEP, then your key must be exactly 26 characters long, and the more random it is, the better it is. Here is an example of a random 128 bit network key:

7F5B3FD23A8EC290AC682DF8FA

Onnce you have made up your key, write it down somewhere. You will need it at each computer that you are going to connect to your network.

Now put the key you made up in the box called key 1.

When you're finished, click Save Settings near the bottom of the screen to save your changes.

And that's it! You're done!

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
nickynoodles,

Your welcome. I hope you have no further issues with you Xbox. If you do please feel free to post another topic. It's always nice to know the outcome of our assistance wiether good or bad.

Oblivionon360