Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lengthy BIOS boot + successful XP boot

• Please log in to reply

Gswiss

Gswiss

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
BIOS boot takes about 3 minutes to complete its tasks with the Intel logo displayed. No beeps. Then Windows XP-SP2 boots normally and works fine.

The different BIOS steps are not displayed on the screen any more: no BIOS parameter setup option, no Windows boot option (we set a waiting period of 15 seconds).

We ran a Passmark BurnInTest and the only failure pointed out was a defective NVIDIA GEForce PCX 5300 graphic card. Driver is recent (May 2008, vers. 6.14.11.7519). XP Control Panel Device Manager indicates that the driver is working fine.

PC is 4 years old.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Device Manager opinion doesn't mean much. Reinstall video driver.

Pvt. Riches

Pvt. Riches

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Can you actually access the bios menu when it should pop up "Hit DEL to enter bios"?

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
The problem disappeared without my knowing what the cause was.

I managed to get into the BIOS setup procedure for the Phoenix MB at startup. There, I checked all parameters and noticed all components were properly recognized. The only things I changed and which appear to have no bearing at all on the 2/3 minute temporary freeze are the system clock (just 3 minutes slow, so the battery should be okay) and a parameter whereby I requested that the startup procedure stop when encountering an error. The existing option was to go on with the startup regardless of eventual errors.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Another computers mystery :)