Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Old Tech to New

• Please log in to reply

RG52

RG52

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I have a server that must be backed up nightly but doesn't have anything other than a modem for "outside" connection capabilities (it's running Win2k). Is it possible to connect to said server via a broadband connection through sometype of VPN tunnel or the like? TIA for the advice.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I have a server that must be backed up nightly but doesn't have anything other than a modem for "outside" connection capabilities (it's running Win2k).

....does it have a NIC card in it? (if it's a server and it doesn't i'm going to laugh at you mercilessly)

what's the server doing? what kind of network is it on? we need more details

RG52

RG52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes it does have a NIC but it's dedicated to a LAN with no internet connectivity. I merely need to backup a MDB file after it's been upated for the last time during the day. I gave you all the info you really need. It's only contact with the outside world is modem and I would like to know if it can be accessed remotely by some other means than dial up (I understand the speed will not increase that's not the issue).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Is it possible to connect to said server via a broadband connection through sometype of VPN tunnel or the like?

well to do that with BROADBAND the server location (i.e. the lan) would need a broadband connection as well

you COULD do VPN via the dial-up connection....it would be slow and you might need to leave the connection active ALL THE TIME....there are ways to force the system to initiate the dialup connection for the duration of the file copy then kill the connection...but i've not done anything like that in a long enough time to remember how to do it

are you requiring the MDB file to be backed up off site or just backed up off of the machine?

RG52

RG52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Off site on to several drives I have at home. I have something to automate all the dial up work I just don't know that I want my home phone line tied up for an hour or so if I am not home considering its the same line my alarm would dial out on if neccessary.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the data in the MDB customer data? with something resembling confidential info? if so i would suggest NOT running the backup to your home....if i was dealing with a business that wasn't run out of the home...that used someone's house as the backup destination i wouldn't be happy about it

ignoring the current economy is it possible to get a broadband connection at the facility? or possibly getting a tape drive (small one for sure) or some other backup media that you could dump the MDB to nightly then take the tapes off site once a week?

RG52

RG52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no it's not but considering I am protecting the data anyway by doing it this way because I work for the company full time and am just doing this for redundancy. The server side has nothing to do with cost it's a security thing. No entry way in NOONE can get in. I don't have time or $$$ to stop every @$$hat cracker out there.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The server side has nothing to do with cost it's a security thing. No entry way in NOONE can get in. I don't have time or $$$ to stop every @$$hat cracker out there.

then the tape drive or other PHYSICAL backup media is your best bet...if you're that worried about "@$$hat crackers" then sending (even over a VPN) the files to your HOUSE over dial-up is a bad idea...period.... i don't know if you own the company you're working for but if i were the owner i'd be concerned...since you could easily inject or extract info from the DB backup at your house for whatever purposes....if you're doing this for security reasons then sending the file to your house should not be an option

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
another option would be an online backup service like Iron Mountain (there are hundreds of these services this is by no means an endorsement of these guys though they have a solid reputation).....MOST of these companies have support for dial-up backup....you install their client...it calls home, creates a secure connection, then drops the file onto their network on a schedule...

RG52

RG52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Your concerns in most cases are obviously legit with the security issues however in this case I can assure my taking data is not an issue. Thanks for the help you confirmed what I thought on connection issues.