Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unknown Motherboard and I need Ram

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I recently purchased a partial system from someone off craigslist so I could try to build a system out of it. I am new at this and is why I am starting off cheap.

The motherboard was missing all the ram sticks...How do I find out which is the correct Ram?

The system case doesn't seem to have any name brand on it. Hope you can help and thanks,

JR

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi JR,

Is there no printed make and/or model number on the motherboard itself?

Troy

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
They always list some kind of identification on all motherboards. Look close around the cpu or close to a video card slot or by the memory slots. You will find the mobo model by the cpu or video card slots usually. Most list what type of memory they use under or close to a memory slot.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I found the name and its GA-6BXC, I googled it and I believe it requires pc100 SDRAM. I put one in there and that was the last thing I thought I needed. Now I go to power it on and nothing happens. I have built this from scratch so I can learn and I'm using a bunch of used parts I bought as a lot.

Is the power supply bad? The motherboard maybe?

Where do I go from here?

Thanks,

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I found the name and its GA-6BXC, I googled it and I believe it requires pc100 SDRAM. I put one in there and that was the last thing I thought I needed. Now I go to power it on and nothing happens. I have built this from scratch so I can learn and I'm using a bunch of used parts I bought as a lot.

Is the power supply bad? The motherboard maybe?

Where do I go from here?

Thanks,

Anything is possible if you bought it from a "LOT".

Things to try..

-Do you have any extra power supplies if so try that.

-Try different ram sticks in different ram slots or try re-seating the memory.

-check the power button cable connecting the front pc case power button to the MOBO. Where it connects to the MOBO on the prongs might be connected to the wrong pins.

ghost_reader

ghost_reader

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi,

I recently purchased a partial system from someone off craigslist so I could try to build a system out of it. I am new at this and is why I am starting off cheap.

The motherboard was missing all the ram sticks...How do I find out which is the correct Ram?

The system case doesn't seem to have any name brand on it. Hope you can help and thanks,

JR

consentrating on the desktop model name u gave ..this is the required info. ur mobo do have 2 RAM slots.each can support upto 1gb of ram of pc2-3200 type :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
[

JR[/quote]
consentrating on the desktop model name u gave ..this is the required info. ur mobo do have 2 RAM slots.each can support upto 1gb of ram of pc2-3200 type :)
[/quote]

I googled the GA-6BXC and it said it required pc100 sdram not pc2 3200. Can someone clarify this for us?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If you managed to successfully put an SDRAM module in the motherboard, then it uses SDRAM. If it used DDR or DDR2 RAM, the SDRAM module wouldn't physically fit into the RAM slot.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
lol

it's pc100 you are correct jr300 don't worry.
From the manufacturers website..
http://www.gigabyte....?ProductID=1445