Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen reads out Award...then eventually no keyboard or keyboard error

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

This post has been on here for a while but no one has replied. Can someone help me?

I have just about completed building an old desktop pc, a different one from another computer posted on here.

When I power it on it says "none" for master and detects a slave. It also reads no "keyboard or keyboard error", but I have a keyboard and mouse hooked up?

I have no idea if the hard drive has anything on it or what. Is this the screen you get if there's no operating system?

Is the motherboard bad?

I am new and learning so be nice!

Thanks,

Edited by JAR300, 10 January 2009 - 02:42 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi, sorry for the delay. Here's the answer to your question from the Waiting Room:

To make a link say something else:
  • Type what you want the link to say
  • Copy the link CTRL + C
  • Select the text you want the link to say
  • Click on the Insert Link button (Green + sign, available in the Add Reply page)
  • Hit CTRL + V to paste the link
  • Hit Enter to close
The Forum will then automatically adjust the BBcode to make it work. Click on "Preview Post" to see how it's going to look, and test it to make sure it works.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This sounds like fun. Do you have any other parts to swap around for this old build?

In particular... Do you have another keyboard to try?

Troy

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I have tried other keyboards, but they are old. However, they work on another pc I am messing with and upgrading. I have all kinds of other parts to try. Just let me know. And it is fun! Its my first build and I'm using parts no one has anymore! LOL I'm currently applying for a grant, scholarship, and maxing my credit cards out to join Geek U.

:) Really I do want to. Okay, let me know LOL.

Edited by JAR300, 11 January 2009 - 05:24 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
System building can be quite a blast at times... :)

Try disconnecting the hard drive, CD drive, and see if it happens again.

We have a sticky in the forum, look it up and follow that.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ahhhhh...you're going to hate me. I would assume a sticky is a guide to common issues or such. But what do I type to search for my problem in order to find that sticky cause I don't know what you call this problem, sorry. I'm not new I swear! :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sorry, I should have linked to it for you. It's here.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
This is a test only and to say thank you.

go here

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I went there and added a reply. :)

Let me know how you get on with that sticky.

Troy

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It doesn't seem to describe anything thats going on. There is a speaker but I don't here any beeps and most of the other stuff doesn't seem to describe what I see. I feel bad for being so new.

Anyway, maybe you should re-read this entire post and then go look at that sticky. Maybe I don't quite understand all the lingo, but it doesn't seem to ring any bells for me to be like "ok lets try that".

Can you point me in the right direction on that sticky.

The system seems to be doing a check and then reads no keyboard or keyboard error. I know I have a keyboard I have tried that works cause I have it currently working on my other computer. That's what doesn't make sense. Screen says I have an error somewhere and I have corrected that error by knowing that keyboard works. Still same message every time. I have tried like 5 keyboards LOL.

It just seems logical that what would be wrong is where the keyboard port attaches to the motherboard. Maybe the motherboard is bad, keep in mind this is all old stuff I don't know whats good or bad or what. Maybe it's a better Idea to learn building with all new stuff, but I'm all in at this point.

Thanks,

Edited by JAR300, 11 January 2009 - 06:15 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Its on! Its on! Its on!

but now its asking if I want windows to search for updates but I dont have it hooked up to the internet and my parents only have dial up so I have to sign on first what should I do?

Okay I got it installed. Nevermind

The computer has one long continuous beep now...I'll go to that sticky.

And it says I need to go to power management for the monitor but I don't know what to do in there. What would it be asking?

Man, that was a pure adrenaline rush. Is that normal?!

Edited by JAR300, 11 January 2009 - 07:07 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Normal... for a geek. :)

What did you do to get it working?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I told my self to just start over...I'm probably making this to complicated. So, I unplugged everything from the back went to my boxes of mice and keyboards. I found the appropriate connection type for the computer (remember they are old) and just plugged a new mouse and keyboard in. Powered it up and it worked!

So, now there is a long continuous beep and I have replaced it with the correct ram. The beep actual doesn't come on right away. It's when a red light starts flashing on the front of the computer. Keep reading.

And, the internal fan of the power supply or the power supply it self might be louder than some hondas out there! Can I maintenance it?

Also, the front of the tower has a red blinking light with a battery symbol next to it. What does that mean?

Remember, when I first turned the system on it said something a about a monitor problem and to go to power management in bios. Could that be related to the red blinking light? Is that related to the continuous beep?

Let me know and thanks,

Edited by JAR300, 11 January 2009 - 08:26 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh dear... Here we go:

The only maintenance I recommend you perform to a PSU is to keep it clean. You can clean it by using compressed air (in a can) to blast dust out. Do not open a PSU up, as it still contains power that can injure you.

I would think that the two problems are related. I don't know what the red blinking light means, as I've never seen it before. On my computer, the red light means HDD activity. Another computer I have doesn't even have a red light (or a HDD activity light either). I would suggest that you enter the BIOS and find Power Management... See if there are some settings in there that need adjusting. I don't know where they are, what the options are, or what they need to be, but have a look around. I'm sure the beep is related also.

Troy

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Troy,

The computer seems to be running smooth as silk now. I just went into bios and set the power management to default and I saw some things change. I have taken care of all the problems mentioned earlier. I will post new topics if such problems should arise. Thanks so much for your help and I have learned a ton.

See ya around...topic resolved.

Edited by JAR300, 13 January 2009 - 06:28 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Thanks for letting me know... The Default option is usually a good troubleshooting choice, I should have thought of it.

Good on you for sticking with it. Now break it and start again. :)

Troy