Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to internet on one computer

• Please log in to reply

tclem

tclem

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, Thanks for helping me if possible. I have a Dell PC with windows XP. I have cable internet, which comes in to the cable modem, then into a wireless router. The others in my household have laptops and are connected to the internet by wireless; but my PC, which is connected to the router by an ethernet cord, just lost its connection yesterday as I was working and I can't make it reconnect. The ethernet card is Broadcom 440x10/100 integrated controller. Its orange LED is lit and the yellow LED is blinking, so according to the manual it's working fine. And when I look under Internet Connections, it says connected.

I've tried many of the suggestions on here; I've routed the cable modem directly to the PC and it still doesn't work.

I've uninstalled the Broadcom device, run the Add Hardware wizard, and it says it's running properly.

When I look under device manager, under network adapters, it says device is working properly.

But it ain't!

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by tclem, 08 January 2009 - 04:05 PM.

Advertisements

Pvt. Riches

Pvt. Riches

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
The first thing I would check is the network cable you are using. It could possibly be a faulty cable. The shorter you can get it the better too. Longer cables tend to weaken the signal, although not much.

tclem

tclem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have verified that the cable (which is short) is good. Any other ideas?