Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

graphic card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

foxfan

foxfan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, I have an old Packard Bell imedia 5106 that is my gaming comp and i want to use it for world of warcraft. Bearing in mind that this pc is about ten years old, i have upgraded it a lot over the years.It has a P4 1.5mhz cpu and 1gb ram, but the graphics card is an nvidia geforce mx/400 which i think is the weak link ?? If i am right then what graphic card do i upgrade to ? Is this comp worth upgrading for world of warcraft, and am i right in thinking that the graphics card is the answer ?
Please help, cheers
Gaz

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi all, I have an old Packard Bell imedia 5106 that is my gaming comp and i want to use it for world of warcraft. Bearing in mind that this pc is about ten years old, i have upgraded it a lot over the years.It has a P4 1.5mhz cpu and 1gb ram, but the graphics card is an nvidia geforce mx/400 which i think is the weak link ?? If i am right then what graphic card do i upgrade to ? Is this comp worth upgrading for world of warcraft, and am i right in thinking that the graphics card is the answer ?
Please help, cheers
Gaz

In my opinion, save up for a new REAL gaming pc. Your mobo has an agp slot but it is the super old agp slot. AGP 1.0 "1.5 V AGP interface with 4x SBA/data transfer and 2x/4x fast write capability" Listed on the manufacturers website. The problem here is that those are really picky on what agp video card you put into the machine and you will most likely see a black screen due to graphics card incompatibility with the voltage. Only 1.5v agp cards will work and they are becoming really hard to find now as even the next step agp cards are old now. Pci express is the newer video card platform which has been out for 3-4+ years and if you get a new pc that is what comes on all of the newer motherboards. Even if you found the correct video card you will not be happy with the results on a 10year old pc.

Don't get mad but, the whole pc is the weak link as it has no upgradability for these newer games. The cpu, video card and mobo is just to old now to even consider gaming on it. To play these newer games you have to keep up with technology as I try to buy a new pc every 1 and a half years max but I am more of a hardcore gamer.

World of Warcraft doesn't really require a whole lot of power to play but this only goes towards the newer pc's and hardware as they do not have a problem running that game as long as you have a pretty good cpu and at least a mid level video card.

You can build a pc cheap that will play that game nicely but this all depends on what hardware you want or choose and budget.

An older amd x2 dual core processor or an older core 2 duo matched up with 2gb ram and a nvidia 9600gt/nvidia 8800gt/ati 4670 etc will run it nicely.

You can buy those cpu's and mobos and ddr2 ram for super cheap now as that is last generation technology. It won't be the fastest and newest hardware but for the price and performance you cannot go wrong it you are on a low budget.

Good luck! :)

foxfan

foxfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That is a great answer jrm20, kind of confirmed what i guessed that it is a very dated comp. At least uv given me the spec i need to look for in a new pc that will play wow on a budget.I have wanted to build my own pc, but for now i think i will look out for a pc with the spec uv qouted. Thanks for ur help. Gaz

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I have wanted to build my own pc

Do it. Do it. Do it.

Troy