Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What operating system(s) do you use?

• Please log in to reply

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Have you tried running chkdsk /r from the recovery console to repair the sector?

Advertisements

PC-Tech

PC-Tech

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I use XP Pro, XP Home, Vista Ultimate, Mac (The type i cant say :) ) and Windows 98
forgot to add: Windows 7

Edited by PC-Tech, 02 February 2009 - 06:56 AM.

testguy

testguy

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have better experience with Windows XP, its very easy and fast to use.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Main production machines:Windows XP, Windows Vista

Others:

RHEL at school
PC-BSD
Anything debian based
Anything I can download an ISO for (legally)

If I could get a new laptop, I'd try dual boot with PC-BSD as the main OS.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
XP at work
XP and Vista at Home
And Windows Me and Win2k as Virtual Machines to test "programs" on.

I am still using XP a lot, because everything is installed and working perfectly fine, so I just can't be bothered to transfer everything to Vista (yet) :)

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Uses XP Home on this machine (Surf / Game PC) which also used to have ME as dual-boot.
XP Pro on my other machine, which have a workstation setup.
XP Home on a old PC standing in my home office, that my kids use when they "work with dad" :)

Have seriously considered skipping Windows altogether, and go Linux. :)

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I'm currently using Windows XP SP3, I thought about a move to Vista because of my DirectX 10.1 graphics card but UAC annoys the [bleep] out of me. I've been using Windows 7 at work and I like it so much more than Vista, it's running on a 1.8 GHz Celeron with 512MB RAM amazingly enough.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

but UAC annoys the [bleep] out of me.

So turn it off then....?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

but UAC annoys the [bleep] out of me.

So turn it off then....?

Well yes there is that I suppose but UAC is not the only thing that annoys me about Vista. On some of the machines we have at work almost a full GB of RAM is used before you even open any applications.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello everyone
Quiz Master you asked a very good question :)

I have Windows xp home edition , iam more familular with 98 ( as i was bought up with it )
i wouldn't mind doing the transfer to windows 7 , sounds better everyday i hear about it...

Quote:ZEUS_GB " On some of the machines we have at work almost a full GB of RAM is used before you even open any applications. "
your work computers need some tweaking , and maintenance wounldn't hurt....
iam only running 2GB DDR ( only double data rate atm ( 2x1GB memory modules ) ) and that does me:) but not with only 1gb to spare lol

Anthony19
PS: i personally dont like vista .... everyone is different , only for the fact of all the permission prompts ( only minute complaint... ) however i guess these days technology moving so fast , you have to try and keep up :) and weight up the pro's and con's...

Edited by Anthony19, 10 February 2009 - 05:18 AM.

Advertisements

Natakel

Natakel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all. I've used Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP (though any 3.1 knowledge I ever had is gone - and Win95 is getting pretty fuzzy also). Considering trying Windows 7 in beta.

Currently all the PC's I use are running Windows XP Pro - but I have a lonely old PC in the kids' old room in the basement (they went and grew up and moved away) that is still running Win98 - it's almost never on now, but it is still on my LAN in case one of the kids stays over. Sometimes I feel sorry for it and run down and fire it up to update the AV and such . . . :)

Edited by Natakel, 12 February 2009 - 07:17 AM.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have Windows Vista Home Premium. The reason is rather simple, I bought my Dell back in April of '07. It was included. After I purchased my new Dell, I did hear all sorts of bad stuff about Dell which even made me frustrated at that time and thinking Dell screwed me. However, after reading through a lot of these forums, I feel much better and to be honest, I haven't noticed too much bad from Vista. I'm happy with it. :)