Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What browser(s) do you use?

• Please log in to reply

Mad Dog Vee

Mad Dog Vee

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I use Firefox 3.0.8 at the moment.
I use it mainly for its extensibility and security.
In my experience, IE7 takes forever to load. I don't expect IE8 to be much better.
I have not tried Chrome, because I am giving it a 365 day waiting period. I will probably try it later this year.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

In my experience, IE7 takes forever to load. I don't expect IE8 to be much better.

It's much better :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I agree with Troy. I've been using IE8 far more than I ever used IE6 or IE7. It's still not my default browser, but only because I've been spoiled by adblock. If I'm surfing sites that I know and that I visit frequently, I usually use IE8 now.

On my machine, its faster than FF. Compatibility mode works very well, and I love the accelerators.

If I could get adblock to work in IE8, I wouldn't use FireFox at all.

Hey ScHwErV, how about using the HOSTS file to block the nasties?

http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm

I'm going to give it a shot when I get a few moments, see if it works. I would love it if it works!

Troy

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Doesn't the hosts file work for any browser you have?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
That particular hosts file does not block ads (some, but that's not it's mission).

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Couldn't it be modified to include more? I like the idea of blocking the bad stuff from the HOSTS file. :)

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
firefox for me,

tried opera but it doesn't work properly on my o/s, so i switched back to ff

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
firefox rulz!!! :)

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...been using IE7 for a long time. I updated my laptop to IE8 last week; not bad, but still kind of slow getting started. So, I installed Firefox on the laptop last night...WOW...what a difference! Firefox is definitely a keeper...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

So, I installed Firefox on the laptop last night...WOW...what a difference!

That is exactly what I thought when I used it for the first time. Opera is actually a little faster I thought, I just don't like the look or feel of it at all.

Advertisements

#1MIfan

#1MIfan

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
I use Firefox. I might give Opera and Chrome a whirl just for the heck of it. If I could, I would avoid IE at all costs, but I can't open certain PDF files for some of my college classes without IE :)

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I would definatally have to say FF. For the same reasons as everyone else. Being able to save tabs when closed, add ons, and my favorite would be the FF Google search page! Woo!. I just like the look of it better. FF. Has a much smoother feel to the operations of IS and Opera. After researching Opera I found that there is a way cool feature how it displays pictures, but finding a web site that would be coded to suport this feature would be far and few between so I did not think it would be that big of a deal. I did use a combination of FF and Opera for a while, but as I continued to use them, my love for FF grew and Opera was slowly poshed out of the picture. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

my favorite would be the FF Google search page! Woo!.

+1 !!! :)

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I try. You can never over look the small stuff. Especially the short people. They can get vicious. :)

Perplexed Number

Perplexed Number

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I use firefox with the noscript addon. However strangely enough I'm using IE to type this :) .