Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't turn Automatic updates on...*bump*

• Please log in to reply

chyarnell

chyarnell

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I just had my system cleaned of many nasty viruses (Bube) and I'm resetting protection and I cannot turn automatic updates on.

All buttons are greyed and can't click on anything to turn it on. I don't know what to do and am now shamelessly pleading for help.

please?

Edited by chyarnell, 07 May 2005 - 12:17 PM.

Advertisements

xomikronx

xomikronx

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My problem is I can't get the icon to disappear from the system tray. I turned it off, but now it naggs me that I should turn it on. You know how by any chance? :tazz:

chyarnell

chyarnell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
xom, see if this works:

In the front page of the security center, click on "Change the way Security system alerts me" under Resources. If you see Resources but nothing else, click on the down arrow to the right of the word.

Uncheck them all, that should turn the alerts off. If it doesn't, realize I'm just a guy coming here for help and am not at all qualified to give advice about repairing your system. Also keep in mind you hijacked my thread. Why am I trying to help you anyway? :tazz:

danlott84

danlott84

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello

Your problem might be after cleaning out your system you deleted some files or settings....maybe you could just try to reinstall Service Pack 2...just a suggestion and you have probably tried that...

xomikronx

xomikronx

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
CHyrnell....OMG I LOVE YOU. THANK YOU. :tazz:

chyarnell

chyarnell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
** bump **

need help

bobbywilson

bobbywilson

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Bro,

Go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm go to the tweaks section and get the tweak called "Windows Update Greyed Out - Restore."

Worked for me...

btw the site listed above is EXCELLENT.

xomikronx

xomikronx

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I really like that link. Very useful tips...I especially like the tweaks.