Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop

• Please log in to reply

TriaArch

TriaArch

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection to a computer on my local network. i have a Windows SBS server with a sonicwall router. All the workstations are running Xp Pro. I am able to connect to other computers, just not the one I need. i have setup the remote host on the computer in question but I just get an error message saying that the connection could not be made. i tried pinging the computer as well and it cannot be found.

I know the computer is connected to the network because I can see the server, shared printers, etc...

Any advice?

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

You say that the system that you can not connect to, can see all other network resources? Shared printers and folders? Have you shared anything on the system that you can not access, to the network? From my experience, if I did not share something on a system to the network, the system would not allow network access...

Hope this helps..

TriaArch

TriaArch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Everything on the network is available to both computers. I can even ping my computer from the remote host computer. I just can't ping the host from my computer. I shut off the local firewall software on the host and have tried everything else I can think of. I can remotely connect to other computers in the office, just not the one I want to connect to...

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Ok,

When you say a remote connection, you mean that you are trying to access from outside of your office, (because remote connections are normally done from a off site location). You are using the remote access built into windows XP?

TriaArch

TriaArch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am using the remote desktop feture within XP to connect to other computers in my office (ie. print servers) so I can check on errors and problems without having to go to the work station itself. It saves me time to do it from my computer.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
I've had cases where pinging would only work in one direction. You may want to reload the network drivers on the drivers on the network system, (just go to device manager un-install the network adapter and than scan for changes). It should reload automatically, but be sure that you have the proper drivers available first. If you still can't ping successfully you may have a faulty network card on your system