Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this a decent computer build?

• Please log in to reply

tinmancmg

tinmancmg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm new to this site and I hope I can find some good advice here. I'm decently tech-savvy but have never actually built my own computer from scratch yet. I am very much into gaming and I am shooting for a more than decent gaming PC. I have all the parts put together logically and I am confident that everything should go fine. Here are the parts I will be purchasing within the next week:

Case: Thermaltake Armor Series Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 775 65W

Mobo: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V

CD/DVD Drive: Sony NEC Optiarc 5.25" SATA

CPU Fan: Noctua NH-C12P 120mm CPU Cooler

RAM: OCZ HCP Reaper DDR3 4GB (2x 2GB)

Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 3.0GB/s SATA

Monitor: 22" KDS 5ms Widescreen LCD (plan on using DVI)

If there is something I didn't describe well enough I can explain it better detailed if necessary. I'm just curious if there is anything I am overlooking or missing. I do not plan on overclocking. But I am curious if I will need any thermal paste and if so how to apply correctly.

Thanks alot! I hope I can get some help from this!

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi, I'm new to this site and I hope I can find some good advice here. I'm decently tech-savvy but have never actually built my own computer from scratch yet. I am very much into gaming and I am shooting for a more than decent gaming PC. I have all the parts put together logically and I am confident that everything should go fine. Here are the parts I will be purchasing within the next week:

Case: Thermaltake Armor Series Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 775 65W

Mobo: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V

CD/DVD Drive: Sony NEC Optiarc 5.25" SATA

CPU Fan: Noctua NH-C12P 120mm CPU Cooler

RAM: OCZ HCP Reaper DDR3 4GB (2x 2GB)

Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 3.0GB/s SATA

Monitor: 22" KDS 5ms Widescreen LCD (plan on using DVI)

If there is something I didn't describe well enough I can explain it better detailed if necessary. I'm just curious if there is anything I am overlooking or missing. I do not plan on overclocking. But I am curious if I will need any thermal paste and if so how to apply correctly.

Thanks alot! I hope I can get some help from this!

That mobo specifies: Memory Standard DDR2 1200(OC)/1066/800

You picked out DDR3 above so it will not work. If that is the mobo you want you will have to pick some DDR2 ram.

Pretty nice build. You can probably get a little better cpu fan for a tad cheaper and you could probably save some cash for a different brand mobo.

Thermal paste for the cpu fan almost always comes with it when you buy. If you want to get a little better paste then look at the arctic silver.

When working with pc hardware and building your pc you will need to keep yourself grounded to the bare metal of the case chassis at all times. This means keep one hand or elbow always touching the metal chassis or you can buy an anti static wrist band. ESD (electro-static discharge) is a bad thing and will ruin your electronics inside the pc if you do not take precautions.

You can take the little baggies that come with your mobo holding the screws and empty out all screws and use that to smear the thermal paste onto the mobo. Make sure you do not use to much of the thermal paste. Just a little will go a long way.

good luck

Edited by jrm20, 08 January 2009 - 06:52 PM.

tinmancmg

tinmancmg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ah yes. What a simple thing to overlook xD. Thanks for the advice! Very prompt. I'll write back here in about 2 weeks to update on my progress, hopefully with tips to help others also.