Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logon Logoff Loop - but no userinit.exe file exists

• Please log in to reply

AmyC

AmyC

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

My Windows XP SP2 computer is stuck in the logon/logoff loop. I am confident that this is the cause of a virus, as the computer displayed many virus warnings. I ran a system scan, it deleted several viruses, but then this one took hold of the computer to the point I am at now.

I get into the Windows recovery console, and I discovered that I do not have a the file c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe. So I can't try any of the posts that talk about copying it to wsaupdater.exe, and updating the registry.

I also looked into restoring to a previous recovery image, but I don't have a "snapshot" directory.

So I've hit walls trying the suggested fixes that I have found so far.

What else can I try? If I can avoid reinstalling the os, that would be preferable.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If you can't boot in any way, I don't think, you have any other option, than clean install.

AmyC

AmyC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was hoping to receive additional feedback other than resorting directly to a re-install.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'm sorry. I didn't notice, that you can get to recovery console.
Try these steps: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp

AmyC

AmyC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nevermind. I reinstalled. Topic can be closed.

AndyGa

AndyGa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For Everyone that is having the logon loop with xp, this is what is happening alot of times (but not always). YOu have been hit with malware and when you clean it the userinit file that xp uses to log you accounts on gets deleted. So after trying many things from recovery to complete reinstall, I have found a solution that seems to work (so far) all the time i have tried it. Follow the instructions below:

Before you start this, start your pc in recovery console (using system disk) and go to the system32

directory and make sure your userinit.exe file is in fact deleted (do Not delete it if it is there -- you need another solution than this one).

One note:

do not specify the file name to be extracted to.... it will fail... i.e.:

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32\ or if you CD into \windows\system32

type this

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_. Will work.

if you still get the logon loop after restarting do the following:

Start the pc in recovery console and make sure that the userinit.exe file is in the windows

directory. If it is type:

copy c:\windows\userinit.exe c:\windows\system32

If it says 1 file copied, type exit and boot from hard drive and it should be all good.

Edited by AndyGa, 23 March 2009 - 08:07 AM.

timpter

timpter

• Pip
  • 1 posts

For Everyone that is having the logon loop with xp, this is what is happening alot of times (but not always). YOu have been hit with malware and when you clean it the userinit file that xp uses to log you accounts on gets deleted. So after trying many things from recovery to complete reinstall, I have found a solution that seems to work (so far) all the time i have tried it. Follow the instructions below:

Before you start this, start your pc in recovery console (using system disk) and go to the system32

directory and make sure your userinit.exe file is in fact deleted (do Not delete it if it is there -- you need another solution than this one).

One note:

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32\ or if you CD into \windows\system32

type this

Start the pc in recovery console and make sure that the userinit.exe file is in the windows

If it says 1 file copied, type exit and boot from hard drive and it should be all good.

You rock, Worked great :)

dteg

dteg

• Pip
  • 3 posts

One note:

type this

this doesnt work for me.

ive tried:
expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_
expand d:\i386\userinit.exe
expand d:\i386
expand d:\

for the first 3 the system could not locate the specified files
and for the last 1 the file could not be expanded.

i have way to much schoolwork and other stuff on the computer so cleaning is definitely out of the question.

so i figured mayb the cd drive is something other than D so i tried expand d: - expand f: nothing.. im really lost an out of ideas..

any help?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please start your own topic.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

i have way to much schoolwork and other stuff on the computer so cleaning is definitely out of the question.

Click on Backup Files Without Windows in my sig, and follow the directions to get your files back. Then you can reformat and reinstall. You could also try a repair installation: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html