Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home Edition Boot Up Screen

• Please log in to reply

Rex1

Rex1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello....newbie to these forums but had a question about my XP boot up screen. For quite some time now, occasionally when I boot up, my start up screen fades in rather than the typical instant appearance and is way off center. When I say off center I mean that half of the viewable screen displays on the left side of my monitor and the other half is on the right side. The fade-in is constant whereas the off center or split screen is about 50/50. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

It sounds like the video system or the monitor is developing a fault. If you're running a motherboard video system, I would try to remove the memory chips and make sure they are clean of dust. If you have a AGP or PCI-E video card, I would examine the card and also make sure it's clean of dust. While you're "under the hood", examine your CPU heat sink and make sure that the cooling surfaces are also not impacted with dust. If your system is dust free, then I'd say it maybe the monitor, (although if that were the case your desktop should also be impacted).

The shift that your display is having sounds like a frequency shift. Adjust your video settings by changing the resolution settings, (go into your display control panel and click on the Settings s tab. You will see a resolution slide bar). Change the resolution and apply it and see what happens. Don't worry. If the resolution setting you choose can't display, your system will revert to the one that worked after 15 seconds.

What is your motherboard and video card?, (if there is one)...

Rex1

Rex1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Mark!

Thanks for the quick reply. My motherboard is an ASUSTeK Computer INC. Goldfish3 1.xx and my video controller is an Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] which I would assume is integrated into the motherboard(?) and not an actual video card. I will try the things you suggested and see what happens. You're obviously more knowledgeble than I when it comes to the inner workings of a computer so I feel kind of funny even questioning anything, but why would only my boot-up screen be affected?

Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens on my end

Rex

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
The boot up screen is using a different resolution then what your normal desktop does. On systems I've examined with video problems, normally the boot screen is ok and the normal desktop can not display... Yours sounds a bit different with the image shifting. It could be a monitor but as you are on a MB video system, check out the dust inside. It can cause all kinds of havoc and since your video depends on your memory chips, that's the 1st place I'd start...