Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install keyboard and mouse driver via recovery console command prompt

• Please log in to reply

mattkingjr

mattkingjr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is it possible to install the keyboard and mouse drivers thru the recovery console's command prompt? I lost all ablilities to use both devices in Windows XP and am trying to manually install/reinstall the drivers of at least one to work in windows. I am at the command prompt and am lost as to what files, how to and to where to copy, if it is possible without reinstalling windows altogether.

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
What happened to cause to you lose functionality in Windows? Typically the drivers will be installed as soon as Windows loads. Have you tried booting into safe mode? What type of computer is this? Is it a laptop or desktop?

mattkingjr

mattkingjr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is a desktop, Windows XP Home Edition, dual boot with linux 2HDD. Linux side is ok, so I figured it is driver related. I tried the safe mode but cannot get past the login screen because need to choose the user - administrator or my usual, but have no control via mouse or keyboard.
I am using the PS/2 keyboard that came with the system and a USB kensington expert pro (trackball). I just moved and the kensington mouse was not packed in the same box as the computer so I plugged in a microsoft usb mouse and got the message the driver for that mouse was not installed. I googled for a mouse driver found one and tried to install it, I got a message saying the installed driver needed to be unistalled in order to finish. I said yes and restarted the system, now neither the mouse or keyboard works on it. I do not have the Windows CD to reinstall the OS but used the windows CD for my other computer to try and do a repair. I have tried the PS/2 mouse that came with the system and that did not work either. I have also tried to copy a keyboard and mouse driver from one computer to the other via a floppy and overwrite in the system32/driver folder.