Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is it Better to use manufacturer's or chipset drivers?

• Please log in to reply

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I know you can get drivers for motherboards from either the manufacturer or from (in my case) Nvidia. Is there any difference? Which would be better to use? Any answers plus any details you think might help me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I know you can get drivers for motherboards from either the manufacturer or from (in my case) Nvidia. Is there any difference? Which would be better to use? Any answers plus any details you think might help me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

chipset drivers are the hardware instruction sets, it tells / allows the mobo how to work and correlates to the north bridge and south bridge.

What motherboard do you have? If you are talking about the mobo chipset drivers then I always use the drivers that come on the cd. It should not matter where you get it as long as it is compatible to your specific mobo.

Edited by jrm20, 09 January 2009 - 12:54 PM.

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'm getting the MSI P7N Platinum which is Nvidia nforce 750i chipset. Is there any benefits/features that are specific to getting the drivers from nvidia over the manufacturer or vice versa?

Edited by hypnoticstate, 09 January 2009 - 03:08 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The NVidia drivers would be newer and newer drivers iron out bugs and issues with games and specific situations.
That being said, if a newer driver would solve the problem then it's recommended to use them.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I suggest the newer drivers from nVidia, since I had an issue with windows xp 64 bit not liking the SATA controller driver from the install disk for my EVGA Mobo. and the update from nVidia fixed the problem.

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I should also point out, i'm not just talking about on initial installation of the motherboard. I'm talking about any subsequent updates for drivers. So, to clarify, when i talk about manufacturer's drivers, im talking about the latest ones on their website, not the ones on the cd that comes with the MB.

Edited by hypnoticstate, 09 January 2009 - 06:33 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I should also point out, i'm not just talking about on initial installation of the motherboard. I'm talking about any subsequent updates for drivers. So, to clarify, when i talk about manufacturer's drivers, im talking about the latest ones on their website, not the ones on the cd that comes with the MB.

Ya after the initial installation it is a good idea to update the drivers if any newer is available. If you do not have any problems with the original cd drivers do you really need to update, NO it is up to you. I do know that some mobo models might have some issues such as what amw_drizz said with certain hardware etc..

If anything the newer drivers will help or be better or solve issues / conflicts etc..

Go with either it does not matter.

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the info.