Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Single-player PC RPGs?

• Please log in to reply

Kealan

Kealan

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah, anyone know some good ones? I currently have Fallout 3, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (game of the year edition, with the expansions), and The Witcher, although I just picked that up by chance and after reading some reviews of it plan to return it in exchange for Sins of a Solar Empire. Anyway, I got Fallout 3 for Christmas, was instatntly hooked so I bought TES, those will probably last me quite a while but I want a few more stockpiled for later.

Advertisements

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well, there are multiple ways to go with this, since RPG alone isn't really a category anymore. I love PC RPGs, so I'll list a bunch of my favorites.

If you like traditional RPGs, then I recommend the Baldur's Gate series. It is a classic, and will keep you busy for over 200 hours. In a similar vein, I would say Neverwinter Nights would keep you busy for a while, and Icewind Dale is great, but focuses more on encounters than storyline. Similar games are Dungeon Siege, and Lionheart. If you like a little strategy with your RPG, then I suggest Temple of Elemental Evil, or if you like a lot of strategy with your RPG, then Warcraft III or Dragonage are great. If you're into 3rd person games, then Fable: The Lost Chapters is a lot of fun, and if you like 1st person RPGs, then Morrowind is a healthy pre-Oblivion dose of the Elder Scrolls world.

Now, if you're anything like me, you get a little tired of the high fantasy genre in your Role Playing goodness, and want to branch out a bit. I have the cure:

Troika, the now defunct game company, made an excellent original App called Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. It combines the fantasy setting with a good dose of steampunk, and the results are incredible. It's probably my favorite RPG. They also put out a game near the time of their demise called Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, which is a brilliant 1st person RPG where you actually have to do some role playing. One of the greatest games ever made, Planescape: Torment, is a story-based RPG that also uses the Infinity Engine, which Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale share. Now, if you like RPGs, then you've most likely heard of Bioware. Bioware puts out continuously quality RPGs, and combines a bit more action. A few of their greatest ones are: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, (A space opera) and Jade Empire (A traditional Asian action/RPG.)

Speaking of action RPGs, Diablo and its sequel were such hits, that they spawned their own genre: the Diablo Clone. There are a lot of these around, but a sad few of them are worth playing. Three of them off the top of my head are Titan Quest, Sacred, and Seal of Evil.

There are so many great single player RPG experiences out there, that I know I'm forgetting some. Do a little searching for companies and you're bound to find more.

Edited by Holkeye, 10 January 2009 - 07:50 AM.