Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Duel Music cd/dvd

• Please log in to reply

chasingkans

chasingkans

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am trying to copy a duel music disk that I bought. I want to have a copy in the house and one in the car. but for some reason it won't let me copy it to a cd only a dvd. Is there any way to get the music on my computer so I can put it on a cd?
Thanks

Advertisements

danlott84

danlott84

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello

I dont know if you have tried this but windows media player 10..(which can be downloaded from microsoft) has a function that will rip music from CDs onto your hard drive...by default it will place it in my music then you can use nero, recordnow, or other burning programs to burn the CD.....also....another good program for ripping music is Musicmatch jukebox...a basic version can be downloaded from www.musicmatch.com, but the plus version is only about $25....if this doesn't help let me know

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
check out audiograbber, a high quality ripper that is completely free.

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

then use whatever burn program you like to get them on CD.

could you specify what you mean by "dual music disc" ?

chasingkans

chasingkans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have tried to rip it with Media player and it won't do it, the function is not lit up. A duel disk is a cd on one side and a dvd on the other. The dvd side is not working on my computer and havn't tried it on my dvd player yet, but the cd side works but won't let me rip it, i can copy it but it will only let me burn to a dvd.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
wow, I have not heard of this CD/DVD dual disc thing. give me specifics on what it is (title, artist, label, number if listed). I want to look this up and see what the deal is. that might also help to figure out what is going on with your burner.
I suspect this disc is actually a DVD on both sides, but I dont know for sure. or it could be some new copy protection scheme...

chasingkans

chasingkans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I believe it is a new thing that has come out. It is a cd/dvd of Rob Thomas (Something to Be) He is from Matchbox Twenty.
Thanks

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, did some research on this dual disc thing. seems they have found a way to prevent it from being ripped. I dont know how they do it, but I saw several complaints about it.
the record companies are now interfering with consumers legal right to create a backup copy of media they have purchased. it will be interesting to see how people react to this as they become more aware of it.
their reasoning, of course, is to stop people from sharing songs, etc. especially the file sharing networks.
but it does cause a problem for people who create a backup copy legitimately, for example myself. I create copies of my favorite CD's to carry in my car. that way if they get stolen or damaged from being in my car, I dont have to go out and buy the disc again. this is within our rights. another example is people loading songs from CD's they purchased onto their ipods or other MP3 players. now it seems they want us to buy the dual disc, and purchase the songs for download as well...there will be a backlash. :tazz:

the only thing I can think to try is to load the CD side into a CD/CDR drive (not a dvd), and see if you can rip it in that way, but I wouldnt be suprised if it doesnt work.

chasingkans

chasingkans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks, maybe someone will come up with or have already a decoder like they have with dvds. I will keep looking.

danlott84

danlott84

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
wow...

i appreciate your research on it...i have never heard of that either...that is incredible and i will look out for those :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can it prevent copying if the PC is connected to a Hi-Fi with a CD Recorder

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hmmm...I dont know. I suspect there are ways to bypass it, but it would probably involve doing a real time copy, through the analog playback and recording again....then having to rip that copy in, which wouldnt have the track info (artist, title, album, etc.)
I dont own any of these new dual discs, and I'm not going to go out of my way to try and crack it. just not my thing.

some programmer or hacker geek will find a way around it soon enough anyway.
dont forget the last effort against piracy, most prevalent on a celine dion CD. they put an extra data track on the CD, which if inserted in a computer disc drive, would render the drive useless. in some cases it even broke peoples computers completely.
they didnt think about the fact that many people use their PC as their primary stereo, to listen to music in a legitimate fashion. when PC's started breaking, people freaked out, and boycotts were called for. it all became a moot point once someone realized, and published on the net, how to defeat it. use a black sharpie on the outer edge of the disc, where the extra data track was printed.
millions spent on R&D, implementation, etc. defeated with a sharpie. ain't technology grand....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I don't own any of these new dual discs and I'm not going out of my way to buy one.

Technology is indeed grand, SCMS sneaked on to most recorders but then most companies sell models which can bypass this, though they don't make a fuss of advertising them

If the law allows for making back up copies, then they should either sell discs which let the purchaser do that, or put a big sticker on the label to say this disc cannot be copied.....yet.

danlott84

danlott84

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i work with a guy and we talked about this new disc....he said he uses a program called "alcohol" ....i have knowledge of this program, but if you really want to rip the CD you could look into this program...this guy said he can rip this duel disc and he knows what he is talking about.....just a simple help....good luck

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ah yes, alcohol 120%. I have heard of it, havent used it. just looked it up, it can create images, etc. but I didnt see anything about ripping.
again, dont have any of these dual discs, not gonna go out of my way to get one.
I fear this may be turning into some sort of "lets try to hack the dual disc" thread, which is not my intention, and Im sure geeks to go would frown upon that! :tazz:

Edited by audioboy, 10 May 2005 - 02:54 AM.

chasingkans

chasingkans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks to all that has helped. I guess I will just hope that my cd doesn't get scratched in the car. lol oh well not like I can't buy it again.
Renee