Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Pc Rebooted Mysteriously During A Check Disk Scan

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
My problem is the fact that I have a very flaky 5 port usb pci card I need to replace. I've had it for about two years but it started acting up about 6 months ago. Sometimes some ports work and sometimes they don't. Plugging in devices will either work, freeze my pc, or reboot the machine. With the exception of one specific port that always works no matter what with any device. That's the port I had my external Western Digital drive plugged into. Well being an idiot I connected another one of my external drives [Seagate], to one of the ports that is flaky and the Seagate drive wasn't recognized by windows [Not a surprise to me], as per a pop up prompt message I read. So I unplugged the external Seagate drive from the flaky port and still had my other Western Digital external drive plugged in. I decided I didn't want to use my Western Digital external right after that happened so I choose to eject it through the safely remove hardware icon. When I did that the drive would not eject, as I would see a message saying to try to eject at some other time. Than out of nowhere I got two yellow message prompts in my systray that said:

Windows Delayed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data from the file J\$Bitmap. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Windows Delayed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data from the file J\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Out of curiosity I looked at the files on the external and they were all gone! The folders were there but no files were inside. The disc space used was accurate but yet no files appeared on the drive.

So I did what no one would ever do in such a case but I had to. I shut off the external Western Digital drive and turned off my pc as well. I turned my pc back on and googled "$MFT, and $Bitmap". I came to find out that MFT means "Master File Table" which is a file on every hdd that identifies anything and everything on a drive. I also read that if the file ever becomes corrupt or something happens to it, people recommend running check disk which is supposed to fix the MFT [if your lucky].

So I ran check disk from within "My Computer" on the drive. I only selected the first box which wouldn't do a deep scan for lost sectors. The first box is what supposedly fixes MFT's. I than checked the contents of the drive and the files were there again! I felt like I needed to run the deeper scan on the drive using check disk with both boxes ticked which does more looking for bad/lost/damaged sectors, etc. & well when I ran that is when the problem happened when the pc rebooted.

So I took someones advice and tried to run check disk through command prompt instead and it did run but it stopped at about 20%. I got the following messages [This time the pc didn't reboot! Thank heavens]:

Posted Image

I read that you can view error messages in an application that comes with windows xp in the control panel called "event viewer". So I checked even viewer for the latest error entry message and saw this:

Posted Image

I can't understand why check disk has an error while checking my drive with the deep scan and not the simple check disk scan. Could it be the data causing it? Check disk not being made for external drives? Or what?

Do I need to worry? My datas there now but I would love to check the disk for lost sectors, damaged data, etc. I don't know... You tell me what I should do. By the way the external drive is using NTFS not FAT. I don't know if that would be of any help but whatever.

Thanks

Edited by superstar, 09 January 2009 - 07:44 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first thing ...backup all your data to cd/dvd's...remember this...data you don' have at least 2 copies of is data you really don't care about.....

I have a very flaky 5 port usb pci card I need to replace

you have already diagnosed the problem and come to the correct fix for it...

they sell for as little as $10.00 ...go here...