Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not sure if this is XP problem or virus issue

• Please log in to reply

msbsgblue

msbsgblue

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My husbands computer which is Windows XP Gateway desktop began turning itself on a few days ago. It got to the point that to stop this he had to unplug it.

He has tried it several more times only to get on there for a few minutes and now it also shuts itself down.

Does this sound like a virus or power supply issue?

I might add that he cannot stay on long enough to run his Avira anti-virus check. Is there any way to use an anti-virus disk to check it when it won't stay turned on. No, putting in Safe Mode does not work either.

PLEASE anything to explain to me will have to be in simple language and simple one by one steps. I am a senior citizen and although I can do a lot on the computer I have to have simple steps to try to check or work on things.

Edited by msbsgblue, 09 January 2009 - 05:28 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
While the computer is booting up, keep hitting the F8 key to get to the Windows Advanced Options Menu. There you should be able to try either picking the last kown good configuration, or get to safe mode so you can do a restore.

http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm

If you cannot do either of the above because of a virus, you will need a XP CD to reinstall XP on the computer ( doing a repair install).

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

SRX660